ford tranny Q: - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2004, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18099
ford tranny Q:

does any one know if the tail houseing (if one) off a 91 ranger 2wd (4LD6 or something like that) can be remove and the tranny bolted to a t-case or is it a diffrent tranny or ???????? im not the wiseist to fords thanks for any and all help
hitekredneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2004, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 24982
hi it is an A4ld and you have to have a the output shaft and tail housing off a 4x4 tranny to use this one. more trouble than it is worth for an A4ld (junk) if you want to got to 4wd find a M5od out of a 4wd and swap it in. that is your cheapest way and best for longevity. Although cheap is a relative term, at least around here they are in high demand and bring 400-700 in good shape.

Hope that i was some help any more questions on the ranger/BII TNranger or me can try and help.
E_in_TN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2004, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 18099
yeah that helps ----- i'v got a 91 2wd ranger that my kid brother rolled but the 4.0 has 62,000 miles and the tranny was just rebuilt 1 month before he did it and yes --- A4LD sounds right ---- any ways i just wanted to pick up a 90-93 ford exploder for the 4 door as a sencond d.d --- but most of the are 4x4 so i wasnt sure which way to go on the tranny---- are the tail sections the same are at least inerchangable betwwen a A4LD and M5OD--- if not whats more common in an explorer and or how do i dicifer thanks for the help
Old 01-14-2004, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 24982
If you get a explorer with auto then you should be able to use the tailshaft and extension housing from it on your tranny. I am pretty sure that the tailshafts between the m5od and the a4ld are not interchangable i have a extra extension housing for the M50d in the garage but no a4ld to compare it to. Might try the www.rrorc.com or www.therangerstation.com to find out for sure. I think there were alot more auto explorers than manual ones so you should be ok. just find a the explorer and swap in the motor and tranny. should be real easy only took us a hour to pull a 4.0 in a junkyard, but had a bobcat to do the lifting

Good Luck

Last edited by E_in_TN; 01-14-2004 at 07:07 PM.
E_in_TN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2004, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 18099
that works thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.