Help with an '87 full size broco - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2004, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29834
Help with an '87 full size broco

Ok guys and girls
Here is the deal,I finaly got the wife's ok to use the Bronco for what ever I want because we got a second daily driver, so, the tires on this thing will never touch the road again,the problem is going to be money(have to keep the wife relitivly happy too.....) so I am goign to need to do this as cost effective as possable.....(cheap).....so I have the stock '87 Bronco with dana 44's front an rear with a 5.0 and a 4 speed manual tranny my dad has a '77 ford F250 with dana 60's front and rear I plan on sliding under the Bronco.what I want is something that is going to suck my brothers jeep in through the EFI and spit it back out the tail pipe and laugh at him while doing it(you know how those jeep guys can be) ..,hahahha, just kidding!!!actually I just want to be able to go on the trail rides with him and some other friends and actually drive instead of always being the passenger,so what would be the first thing you would do.I plan on starting by cutting the shocks off and taking out a few of the leaf springs and seeing what kind of flex i get that way and also taking the front fenders off so the dont get in the way the top will come off also and as soon as I find the pipe a roll cage will be built. It seems to me its geared pretty low now so I think I'm ok that way.I am very new to this game and will probably have lots more questions as the time goes by so as a noobie I want to say thanks for the wealth of info I have already gotten from reading the pages and thanks in advance for what i shall receive in the future
Thanks again
seger
seger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 21297
Send a message via MSN to Dave C Send a message via Yahoo to Dave C
87 broncos never had a dana 44 rear, you have a ttb front and either a 9 inch or most likely a ford 8.8 rear end. To start off with, pull the sway bars if you have them on there and don't remove the shocks. Either do a lift and get shocks that fit or get shocks that will maximixe what travel you have. Get as big of tires as you can fit, do any trimming you need to do to make them clear, and run that for a while. Find out how it does as is before you start ripping into it too much
Old 04-24-2004, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 17313
87' has the extra, extra POS dana 44 ttb setup(worse than the normal 44ttb), junk hubs and bearing spacing. rearend is a 8.8..

Those 60's will work nicely.

Last edited by Jrod-13; 04-24-2004 at 02:43 PM.
Jrod-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7780
Send a message via ICQ to axaviere Send a message via AIM to axaviere
try http://fullsizebronco.com/ in the solid axle swap section. you need $$ and/or fab skills, ie welder & metal cutting tools
they call it[URL=http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=1445&s=8699] TRUCK [/URL]79 custom 4" lift, 460 4.10 D44 8lug/D60 the front D60 is in my yard & almost ready!! 36s are on, f350 brake upgrade, i just got my rear disc kit now ... 10.25 in the future possibly
axaviere is offline   Reply With Quote