F250 Rear Spring Flip - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2004, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 28703
F250 Rear Spring Flip

I'm in the process of putting a flat bed on my truck (meaning i have the bed off ! ) In order to bob the frame to it's fullest , I'm considering flipping the rear leaf springs,
( ie: long side of spring forward and short side to the back). My question is , What does this do to flex ? Better, worse the same ??? I'm sure someones done it to their fullsize....(I just couldn't find the thread). If so....enlighten me if ya would. I want the 6 inches shorter bed this would give me but not at the cost of screwing up my rig.

Thanks

Custom BodyWork By Humbug...
87 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ford Forum Moderator

Member # 421
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it will point your pinion down a bit, & give you a bit more axle wrap... that's the only things I can think of. I'm not sure how it would effect wheel travel.
AZFord4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2004, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28703
Hey ...thanks for the response, actually I thought that flipping the springs might have bean an easy thing to do but the more I look at it the more of a hassle it seems to be! It sounded real good in theory, but Id have to move all 4 spring hangers 6" forward, move my air tank, relocate the e brake brackets, find a new home for the rear gas tank, re route the exhaust........Geez all for 6" less bed. To top it off I was hoping Id get 100 replys telling me it would flex way better....I had tried to envision how it would affect wheel travel, but I kept getting brain freeze (something I picked up in the late 60's i think )! Looks like reality is hitting home hard. Might be time to put the stock bed back on and keep nerfing off tree's........Unless ,
oh nevermind,
AGAIN..... thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by 87 Ford; 04-30-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 19049
I did it on my bronco to strech the weelbase out. I like it. Didn't seem to make flex any diferent and I dont have a noticable problem with axle wrap but I made the spring perches longer. And as far as pinion angle I had to weld new perches on that 14 bolt anyway so I just set it at what I wanted at the same time.

Mike
muddinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 28703
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinmike
I did it on my bronco to strech the weelbase out. I like it. Didn't seem to make flex any diferent and I dont have a noticable problem with axle wrap but I made the spring perches longer. And as far as pinion angle I had to weld new perches on that 14 bolt anyway so I just set it at what I wanted at the same time.

Mike

Soooo you flipped the spring but didn't move the mounts if I understand.....right ? ANd flex is the same , Hmmm...
would love to get about 99 more replys like yours, there might be hope yet.....Thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 19049
yep. I haven't hit the ramp yet. most likely it would go farther up the ramp beacuse it has a longer wheelbase but the rti number would stay the same...................
muddinmike is offline   Reply With Quote