Need some advice - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2004, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rex

Member # 17225
Need some advice on a 2000 ranger w/2.5 rockwells

I have not searched any of this. I just wanted to throw it out and see what you all thought.

I have a 2000 Ranger ext cab 4x4 with 4.0 and auto tranny. The transfer case is the shift-on-the-fly crap. It currently has the torsion bars cranked up for 2" plus a 3" BL with 33" all terrains. This truck is NOT currently for off roading, it is strictly a daily driver.

In two years the truck will be paid for and I am thinking about building it into a weekend warrior. Here is what I am considering:

2.5 ton Rockwells(front steer only so I can still drive it on the street)
Four linked front and rear
16" bilstein coilovers all around
42 or 44" swampers or maybe the new 49" IROKS

I am pretty sure the stock tcase will NOT hold to this setup(any ideas as far as strength??). I am not sure about the auto tranny. I was considering swapping in a 5 speed manual and putting in an atlas and maybe a klune as well. But if I can get an altas to go behind my stock tranny that would be an easier option.

I am not by anymeans new to rock crawling but I am new to building a ford ranger this big. I just got through(May) building a full-on tube buggy running all toyota drivetrain so I can bend tubing and fab stuff pretty well. I would be planning on doing all the work to my ranger myself(with help from my beer buddys) That is ~IF~ I should even persue building my ranger this way.

I would like any ideas, advise, or smart@$$ comments ya'll may have on this idea.

Flame suit on, fire away!!!

www.HCOR4x4.org

Last edited by Rex; 07-27-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 16333
Send a message via AIM to RedNeckRea Send a message via MSN to RedNeckRea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex
I have not searched any of this. I just wanted to throw it out and see what you all thought.

......snip.....

I would like any ideas, advise, or smart@$$ comments ya'll may have on this idea.

Flame suit on, fire away!!!

search not just this site, but others as well.

personally, I dont wanna see rockwells on anything that's driven on the street for long periods of time, but that's just me.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11497
Sounds like a mud truck.

[URL=www.4x4support.com]4X4Support[/URL]
SittonHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 26592
Sounds like a boat load of BS.
fordperf351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rex

Member # 17225
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordperf351w
Sounds like a boat load of BS.
I guess I asked for it but that is a really stupid ass remark. It IS a boat load of BS because I don't have any of the build up parts (axles links etc) It is an idea only(at this point). This truck would be built for rocks and trail not for mud unless it gets in my way. I guess there is not anyone with any good opinions on building a FORD ranger on this ford section or atleast they aren't posting. I did some searching last night after I posted but I didn't find out much. But I guess you do know what you are talking about though, being as you have them thar 35 inchers on yer truck. I bet just a few years ago when guys were thinking about 40's on a rock buggy you thought they were talking bs as well. Try thinking outside the box for a few minutes and see if you can help a fellow Ford owner out

www.HCOR4x4.org
Old 07-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 16333
Send a message via AIM to RedNeckRea Send a message via MSN to RedNeckRea
why not try searching something other than the ford forum on this board? putting rockwells or mogs or any other axle under a ranger will be almost identical to putting them under an s-10 when using link setups. and how the hell do my 35" tires on my truck have anything to do with what I know? I guess you must believe that tire size equates to dick and brain size

and fawk, if you can't find it laid out for you...build it, test it, and report back

finally....you asked for "any ideas, advise, or smart@$$ comments" we had. I gave you mine. don't let the sand in yer vagina piss ya off when you get a smart ass comment like "search"
Old 07-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rex

Member # 17225
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckRea
why not try searching something other than the ford forum on this board? putting rockwells or mogs or any other axle under a ranger will be almost identical to putting them under an s-10 when using link setups. and how the hell do my 35" tires on my truck have anything to do with what I know? I guess you must believe that tire size equates to dick and brain size

and fawk, if you can't find it laid out for you...build it, test it, and report back

finally....you asked for "any ideas, advise, or smart@$$ comments" we had. I gave you mine. don't let the sand in yer vagina piss ya off when you get a smart ass comment like "search"
I didn't think you gave a bad reply. You gave your smart ass comment "search not just this site, but others as well." then you gave some advice "personally, I dont wanna see rockwells on anything that's driven on the street for long periods of time, but that's just me." I accually did consider what you said because I was interested in wether or not rockwells should be used on the street. And I did search like you suggested. I was just trying to get a general idea from you guys to see if I should run rockwells on the street and how stout my drivetrain is in my ranger. You didn't give a lot of info but you did give some decent imput and that's cool. I didn't know you were running 35's as well. I didn't read your sig. I was responding to fordperf351w's comment. Yea I know I could be blowing wind up my skirt but what the hell, I might just do it. (blow wind up my skirt and put rockwells and 44's on my ranger at the same time

www.HCOR4x4.org
Old 07-28-2004, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 10063
Build it!!

You'd be suprised what a Ranger driveline (trans/xfer) can handle. Although earlier versions of the BW1354 T-case are quite stout (can handle V8 power with ease), the '98up ones have had some issues with chain stretch and subsequent slipping. I don't know what is different in them (or why), but with the added fact yours has that screwy front CV output, you'd probably want to swap in that Atlas anyway.

Talk to Danger Ranger here. AFAIK, he runs all stock Ranger shit plus a doubler in front of the stock case with 42" Swampers (everything after that case isn't stock though ), and there aint nothin' but the frame & floorpan left either (all tube).
Old 08-07-2004, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 24179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex

In two years the truck will be paid for and I am thinking about building it into a weekend warrior. Here is what I am considering:

2.5 ton Rockwells(front steer only so I can still drive it on the street)
Four linked front and rear
16" bilstein coilovers all around
42 or 44" swampers or maybe the new 49" IROKS

I would have to agree that this wouldn't be a "weekend warrior" but pretty much dedicated to the weekends...
Old 08-07-2004, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
winch operator

Member # 15473
Send a message via AIM to bobbywalter
the drive train will be fine with 672 gears and 42's....but the rest of the truck is too light for the rockwells.

88 ranger ext cab pos hackjob powered by a 6.5 diesel clattering against a 4l80 thats punishing a f208 that is turning ford 60's rolling on 33-44 in tires depending on the mission at hand

how ya like me now??
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 33845
Send a message via AIM to ptie
From a Ranger Owners standpoint, I think the biggest I'd ever go on a Ranger is 37's I'd think after that, the truck would be a tinker toy with huge doughnuts on it.