Pirate 4x4 banner

how much more does a 460 weigh then 302?

23K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Zetech 
#1 ·
I was wondering how much more a 91 ford 460 would wiegh over a 89 ford 302? I have a 460 that runs way better then my 302 and no one will buy it and im planning on stepping up to 44's so i want some power but i dont want weight. I mainly wheel out at hollister hills. This will be going into my bronco II. also how much more does the c6 for a big block weigh over one for a small block? Thanks!

#2 ·
I'd guess it's about 300# heavier. The transmissions are basically the same, one just has a taller bellhousing.

But I can put the 302 on the stand with the entire accessory dress on the front, and roll it over by myself. I can't roll over a longblock 460.

I'd say that with full dress, the 302 is around 500# and the 460 is over 750#... never had one on the scale, tho.

#4 ·
I was on an engine site earlier that lists the 460's weight fully assembled at 720 lbs. Here's the website, maybe it will help you balance the best motor for the weight. A 5.0 Mustang motor is at about 450 lbs. There you go have fun with the engine page!

http://www.vintagehotrods.net/ford/ContentExpress20-30-38.html

#5 ·
Rockcrawler_101 said:
I was wondering how much more a 91 ford 460 would wiegh over a 89 ford 302? I have a 460 that runs way better then my 302 and no one will buy it and im planning on stepping up to 44's so i want some power but i dont want weight. I mainly wheel out at hollister hills. This will be going into my bronco II. also how much more does the c6 for a big block weigh over one for a small block? Thanks!
The years dont matter, the engines weigh the same. I swapped a 89 460/C6 into my truck (fullsize bronco) that had a 302/AOD. No noticable weight difference at all. If its 200 or 300 pounds heavier, its like having a decent size guy standing on your front bumper all the time. Not really a big deal to me.
-Will
89 XLT 460
Daytona Beach

#6 ·
Squeezing a 460 into a BII is no small matter. Despite the weight, it's just the enormous size. I saw where a guy put one into a ranger and had to basically entirely redo the frame from the firewall forward so it could fit and so it wouldn't pretzel teh first time he stomped on it. It would be fun, but you'd be better off just trying to get a 351 to slide in there. If you were closer I'd buy your 460, but 2,000 miles is a long way no matter how you slice it.

Justin

#7 ·
well i think im going to have to just build up my 302 because i dont want that much wieght! as far as making it fit i dont think that would be to much trouble sense i would just hack out the cross member and build a new one or just tube the whole front and put the radeator in the back sense im going to do that anyways. Well i might just put the 460 rad in the back for my 302 to make it run cool no matter what! Thanks for all the info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.