Pirate 4x4 banner

Extreme Explorer - Need Pics and Build Specs Please?

6K views 91 replies 34 participants last post by  Racerx70 
#1 ·
Anyone out there running an Explorer that is built up enough to keep up with some Jeeps?

Got pics? Specs?

Thanks In Advance...

#27 ·
:flipoff2: rangers that pretend to be toyotas are gay. :flipoff2:

oh, and about the dubmass D35 comment, yeah, I know, that's why I'm going solid soon. this summer prolly

dont take offense rhino351. my truck is ttb too. and overpowered comparativly. the d35 shows its limits tome regularly. and i live with them just fine. the pictures of fredricks actually point out better biting angles for the tires to me.

as for keeping up with jeeps on 35's in 4 feet of snow with a ranger on 31's....

only if a jeep goes first :flipoff2:

#30 ·
Danger Ranger said:
btw I call bullshit on 31's on anything going anywhere in FOUR FEET of snow. :flipoff2:
I'll second that !!

Cool Fredrick...........Ever mess with 2wd rangers ? Picked 1 up and interested to see what it'll do.

#32 ·
el ranger loco said:
2. Junkie, hows the b2 build goin? Since I cant get on TRS I cant see anything.
Probably coulda PM'ed me.

Its coming along good. The biggest issue at the moment is getting a double T-case in it. I was roasting the clutch pretty good that day.

4. TTB is IFS :shaking:
He was probably referring to his SLA junk

#33 ·
BUZZISCRAZY2 said:
I'll second that !!

Cool Fredrick...........Ever mess with 2wd rangers ? Picked 1 up and interested to see what it'll do.
They are essentially the same as the 4x4 versions, save that they don't have a t-case or a driving front axle. Think early 7's F150 and you get the idea.

The desert racing dudes are getting almost 30 inches out of the front ends and they stand up very well to some serious pounding.

BTW, for all you TTB haters out there - let's run your SAS against my TTB on a fast track... :D

Oh - and though TTB moves in the middle, it is NOT IFS, save for a technicality in the fact that each side moves. Show me a new styled IFS that can do what I can do and I'll be impressed.

#34 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger
btw I call bullshit on 31's on anything going anywhere in FOUR FEET of snow.

I'll second that !!

It's 30" tires not 31's. :flipoff2: You could ask my buddies that my truck keeps up but i dont give a shit i can care less if you believe me or not. :smokin:

#35 ·
86ranger4x4 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger
btw I call bullshit on 31's on anything going anywhere in FOUR FEET of snow.

I'll second that !!

It's 30" tires not 31's. :flipoff2: You could ask my buddies that my truck keeps up but i dont give a shit i can care less if you believe me or not. :smokin:
so lets see the pic of your truck pushing 4 feet of snow :laughing: :flipoff2:

#38 ·
glfredrick said:
I have been through 4 feet of snow on a regular basis with my Ranger... Sort of comes with the territory when you live in Wisconsin.

I'll admit though, that my F150 on 38's did better... :D
So you had snow coming over the hood? and you were still moving?

I'm demanding pics of these super rangers that can drive "Through" four feet of snow.

again, I call BS :flipoff2:

Fawk by your guys methods, I've been through 10 feet of snow. Although my truck was only in the top foot or two and the other eight were below it... but fawk yeah I been through 10 feet of snow!!!!! :flipoff2:

#41 · (Edited)
Different sorts of snow take different sorts of tactics.

In fluffy powder, four feet is no big deal to bust through. With wet heavy snow - even a foot is more than most built trucks can handle. Wish I had pics, but those days were at least 10 years before digital, and I didn't exactly have time to get out to snap a photo.

Here is as close as I can get... a picture "out the window" of the farmhouse where I grew up...

As far as going "through" snow that comes over the hood - that's happened as well... One time, with my F150, I carved out the most unusual looking tracks... You could see the entire outline of the truck, including where the mirrors carved their own track - and yes, the snow was definately over the hood - and the tires were on the ground - in fact, there was almost a foot of water under the snow... That little venture cost me a motor, as it totally blocked off the radiator and the truck overheated getting me back out (it got me home!). After that, I built a nice 500 HP 390 for the truck... :D

Danger - I know that you have wheeled a lot of places and done a lot of stuff - but you haven't been everywhere and done everything... Good Wisconsin winters can make snow drifts over 20 feet high - and I used to go snow busting all the time. I also worked a bulk milk route where I once folded up the side mirrors on my Freighliner truck going through snow.

Imagine busting drifts with this "off-roader". I ran tire chains all around the back - plus one on the driver's steer. I had double air lockers in the rear - and was able to lock both axles together, plus side-to side (big trucks only push with the rear axle until you lock them) giving me what was close to 6x6 capacity. Often times the drifts would be over the top of the truck. the valleys like the one shown in the picture would almost totally drift closed.

You western and southern types would have a hard time imagining what a hard Wisconsin winter is like in a lot of cases.

#43 ·
glfredrick said:
Different sorts of snow take different sorts of tactics.

In fluffy powder, four feet is no big deal to bust through. With wet heavy snow - even a foot is more than most built trucks can handle. Wish I had pics, but those days were at least 10 years before digital, and I didn't exactly have time to get out to snap a photo.

Danger - I know that you have wheeled a lot of places and done a lot of stuff - but you haven't been everywhere and done everything...
Exactly my point, conditions are everything. I just have to stir up shit, you know this :flipoff2: I just have to laugh and call BS when anyone implies their junk can go "through" four feet of snow anyday of the week :laughing:

Cool stories with the Freightliner though... now that's hardcore! :D

#44 ·
Yup - driving a bulk milk truck in Western Wisconsin is a trip. The stuff gets hauled 7 days a week without fail - no matter what. I did that for 11 years.

Most of the time, I was the biggest thing running out there - and with my "off-roading" experience, I was rather "king of the hill" in that country. I know that the county truck drivers sure appreciated me - I generally rescued them. :D When I finally did get stuck, the only thing bigger than me was the county road grader with a huge V plow - sort of like these:

Attachments

#46 · (Edited)
Ohh Yeah ?? Well I've got a Mazdaratti that will do 185 MPH.......... through a 20 ft drift.......... :laughing: :laughing:

#47 ·
4x4junkie said:
Probably coulda PM'ed me.

Its coming along good. The biggest issue at the moment is getting a double T-case in it. I was roasting the clutch pretty good that day.

He was probably referring to his SLA junk

yup i was refering to my SLA crap. and i finally get to rip it all out this weekend.
cant wait to get back home and start. school blows.

Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.