Setting up an OBA or OBW on an Explorer 5.0L. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2005, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
kpj
Rock God

Member # 6920
Setting up an OBA or OBW on an Explorer 5.0L.

OK, now that I am in the home stretch of my C4 doubler project, it is time to start thinking of what is next. My 5oh is out of a 97 Exploder. The AC was never installed when I bought it so I need to set something in it's place. My 2 (well actually I have 3) option's are an OBA or an OBW or an AC delete setup (don't know if they are available??? ).

OBA--very useful, nothing beats having an unlimited air source on the motor and would probably be my number one option. Although, I can get a Powertank and have all the air I would need on most trips. I have been chatting with Kilby, but he doesn't have any kit's for it. Has anyone set up a York compressor using the Explorer 5.0? Any chance for pics? I would be using the stock AC location, or like to use the stock location.

OBW--This is very usefull as well. I have a Powermaster Alternator that I need to modify to make work on the motor. I could get a regular explorer alternator and put it in it's normal location, then modify the Powermaster to work in the AC location. Has anyone tried this setup? Any pics? This would probably be the most practical setup, as I would have OBA (in the form of a powertank or similar) and also an OBW. Something to think about.

AC Delete--This is easy choice. I want to get this heep back on the road and need to do something. Is there an AC delete for the Explorer motor that would buy me some extra time? Everything I see for them is geared towards the Mustang 5.0 using that bracket setup.

I would like to see as many pics of both of these setup's if anyone has done them before.

Thanks for your time,

Ken
kpj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2005, 06:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 18283
the exploder 5.0 used different accessory locations vs mustang to allow everything to fit in the engine bay. All 5.0 explorers came with A/C so there aren't factory brackets to accomplish the task you're looking at like you can w/ mustang or truck 5.0 accessories.

If you have reasonable fab skills you should be able to fab up an idler pully to hang out in the space where the A/C was to allow you to get up and running for cheaper than the other options.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 848
I use my OBA everytime I go wheelin and then some. The total cost of ownership of a power tank adds up, and you have to be stingy on who you air up.

The only time you should need a welder is when something goes terribly wrong, which shouldn't be that often. When it does happen, you can always hook a few batteries together and stack sun glasses to get it done.

Find a factory pump to bolt up and use that. Should work fine. Yorks are overrated. I've run a few different pumps and currently have a 10R york. The york isn't any better than the others, just harder to mount.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
kpj
Rock God

Member # 6920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody
I use my OBA everytime I go wheelin and then some. The total cost of ownership of a power tank adds up, and you have to be stingy on who you air up.

The only time you should need a welder is when something goes terribly wrong, which shouldn't be that often. When it does happen, you can always hook a few batteries together and stack sun glasses to get it done.

Find a factory pump to bolt up and use that. Should work fine. Yorks are overrated. I've run a few different pumps and currently have a 10R york. The york isn't any better than the others, just harder to mount.
Are the stock AC pumps "oiless", like the Sanden's used in Jeeps? I hadn't really considered using the stock AC pump. Do you know what "brand" it is, so I can do some research. Thanks.

Ken
Old 09-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 26739
If you use the stock AC pump you will need to lubricate the air pre-pump and then seperate the oil, post-pump. If you want to delete the AC pump all together, just get a shorter belt. There is plenty of room at the ac mount for the belt. I can get you the number of mine belt. I will look tomorrow if you want it. That's if I can still see the number. If I remember right (5 years ago) I just got one from the parts store for a 98 explorer 5.0 with no AC. Like the other guys said, they didn't come without it...I cannot say either way.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 848
The stock pump will work fine. It won't blow any more oil than a york. Depending on how much you use it, you don't really need to oil it. I ran my stock Bronco II pump for 8 or 9 years. When I did my V8 swap, I used a different pump and tore apart my BII pump for inspection. There was virtually NO wear.

The first couple years I would feed it a cap full of oil every time I aired up. As time went by I oiled it less until I finally pretty much ignored it completely, maybe oiling it once a year. It kept going and going until the day I pulled it.

here's what they look like inside.

This is the pump I ran for a couple years on my 302...also worked fine until I pulled it.

Now I've been running a york for a couple years. It doesn't fill tires any faster than the others. It was just a lot harder to find 302 brackets for.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
kpj
Rock God

Member # 6920
Awesome pics!!! Thanks. So, with the stock Explorer pump, I shouldn't need a "pre-oiler", just check it periodically to make sure it has some in it? Sounds simple to me.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpj
Awesome pics!!! Thanks. So, with the stock Explorer pump, I shouldn't need a "pre-oiler", just check it periodically to make sure it has some in it? Sounds simple to me.
No...you shouldn't need a pre-oiler. You can't exactly check to make sure they have oil, but you can feed a cap full into the intake while you are pumping once in a while. I wouldn't obsess over it though.

Yorks blow out all their oil too, and most folks don't bother adding more. I know I don't. I'd venture to say most yorks out there are running dry. If it blows up, I'll throw another one on.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 27153
Keep the ac and just fog the intake occasionly with some spray lube oil. Mine has lasted for 5 years and still have the york collecting dust. Stock one will just not die!! Use the powermaster for your regular alternator, add a external regulator and a few other easy to find stuff and make your own welder. I have both OBA and OBW. My home brew welder was less than 150 bucks. The welding cable was the most expensive item. I actually use the welder more than anything. I never change my air pressure as it is a trail only rig and only get short highway trips. Every time I take it out, someone on the trail is needing a welder.
K&K Racing #21
ECORS Class A Early Bronco
broncman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2005, 02:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
kpj
Rock God

Member # 6920
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncman
Keep the ac and just fog the intake occasionly with some spray lube oil. Mine has lasted for 5 years and still have the york collecting dust. Stock one will just not die!! Use the powermaster for your regular alternator, add a external regulator and a few other easy to find stuff and make your own welder. I have both OBA and OBW. My home brew welder was less than 150 bucks. The welding cable was the most expensive item. I actually use the welder more than anything. I never change my air pressure as it is a trail only rig and only get short highway trips. Every time I take it out, someone on the trail is needing a welder.
You don't happen to have any pics of your welder setup? I am going to go that route now. I have a line on a cheap AC compressor (motor didn't come with any accessories), so I will be picking that up next Friday. Then, I will make some mounts for the alternator and would love to turn that into a welder and have everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.