Chevy TBI on SB Ford - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 14600
Chevy TBI on SB Ford

Anybody know of a write up showing how to do a DIY GM TBI conversion (similar to the Howell and Turbo City kits) to a small block Ford using junkyard parts. I have a pretty good idea (and several parts already) about what's involved but, am looking for a write up on how to modify the wiring harness. Any info is appreciated. And oh, I searched but, the number of pages that showed up made my head spin Thanks...........Hans

Last edited by Oatmeal; 11-01-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17313
it seems to me that it would be much easier to swap on the vastly superior ford MPFI setup? after all, there is only like 5 wires that need to be hooked up for it. Plus I believe a GM tbi setup woudl need a custom chip burnt for it to run right on the non orriginal motor, wouldn't it?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 40143
My friend has a 351w with a chevy tbi. He used the chevy wiring but had to run the ford distributor with some sort of ignition box. Then he had to have a couple of chips burnt before they were able to make it run properly. It runs very well. Compared to my 302 ho motor that has the sefi setup, it feels like he has better low end torque and the motor has better idle (lugging charachteristics), but mine has more power on the higher rpm range. (Both motors are stock)

I have recently found out that the mustang flywheel that I used only weighs 20 lbs and that if I would have used the 11" truck flywheel that I could have picked up another 10 lbs, which should make the 302 ho lug better.

Last edited by netcott; 11-02-2005 at 12:27 PM.
netcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 40383
The ford setup would be tones easier and cheaper. As long as you use a decent long runner intake, like a stock HO or truck piece, it should put down just as much power. because of the mustang, the aftermarket for ford EFI is booming, and there is a huge knowledge database for troubleshooting/upgrades. I have not touched the MPEFI setup on my mustang, 170k miles later, it still runs like new.
Mr. Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12876
There's always Megasquirt for a controller. It'll run TBI or multiport and uses GM sensors. You build it yourself and it's pretty cheap.
Lars915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 14600
Ok, I forgot to mention that it's a 351W in my early Bronco. I like the simplicity of the GM TBI set up as it'll bolt right up to my Performer manifold and I still have alot of stuff (fuel pumps, throttle body adapter....) left over from the crappy Holley Pro-Jection set up I unloaded er...sold to somebody else. I already have the GM throttle body and computer and the various remaining sensors are pretty cheap to pick up (my truck is already plumbed for a return line) so all I really need is a link to a write up about modifying a GM harness or making my own........I'm poor ......Hans
Old 11-02-2005, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8469
Send a message via ICQ to jopes Send a message via AIM to jopes Send a message via Yahoo to jopes
I could have gone the GM TBI way, but I decided to run SEFI ford stuff off of a 89 mustang on my 400. I cannot wait to get it running.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 29498
The pain-in-the-ass part of a GM TBI swap is the harness isn't "stand alone" as a Ford EFI is,It's best if you can just yank the entire harness out of a truck and "edit" it yourself.I had an old Blazerette with a rusty body and bad trans that I stripped to put TBI on my Unimog and it freakin' runs 98% perfect without burning no stinkin' chip.My only issue is that I don't have a vehicle speed sensor so it can't self reset the idle speed worth a shit.I'm even using a high pressure fuel pump from a 91 F150 since that's the fuel tank I'm running,the TBI fuel pressure regulator handles it just fine.Find a junk chevy truck,get a wiring diagram and have at it,it'll take you a day or so to remove all the unnecessary parts of the harness after you have it out.
TJ,B2,Sold the Mog,BoughtCTD
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 48732
Send a message via AIM to 70cyclone Send a message via Yahoo to 70cyclone
Quote:
Originally Posted by netcott
My friend has a 351w with a chevy tbi. He used the chevy wiring but had to run the ford distributor with some sort of ignition box. Then he had to have a couple of chips burnt before they were able to make it run properly. It runs very well. Compared to my 302 ho motor that has the sefi setup, it feels like he has better low end torque and the motor has better idle (lugging charachteristics), but mine has more power on the higher rpm range. (Both motors are stock)

I have recently found out that the mustang flywheel that I used only weighs 20 lbs and that if I would have used the 11" truck flywheel that I could have picked up another 10 lbs, which should make the 302 ho lug better.
not really fair to compare low end power between and 351 and 302....
01 F350 PSD 4x4
70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler 429CJ/4sp
70 F250 crewcab shortbox
89 F350 4x4 460/ZF
93 Mark VIII 4.6 Cobra
66 Dart GT convertible
70cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1852
Send a message via AIM to dcg9381 Send a message via Yahoo to dcg9381
I know this sounds like it doesn't apply, but I've got a blown 22R toyota motor. If you can get the TBI to bolt up to the manifold, you've done most of the work in regard to getting it to run.

For another $350, you can get a built and tested megasquirt system & a labeled harness. It's not exactly painless wiring, but it's pretty close. Megasquirt works great with the GM TBI. Ping me if you need help.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 14600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmay
The pain-in-the-ass part of a GM TBI swap is the harness isn't "stand alone" as a Ford EFI is,It's best if you can just yank the entire harness out of a truck and "edit" it yourself.I had an old Blazerette with a rusty body and bad trans that I stripped to put TBI on my Unimog and it freakin' runs 98% perfect without burning no stinkin' chip.My only issue is that I don't have a vehicle speed sensor so it can't self reset the idle speed worth a shit.I'm even using a high pressure fuel pump from a 91 F150 since that's the fuel tank I'm running,the TBI fuel pressure regulator handles it just fine.Find a junk chevy truck,get a wiring diagram and have at it,it'll take you a day or so to remove all the unnecessary parts of the harness after you have it out.
That's kinda of the route I was thinking of taking (more within my budget ) Question: Does it matter if the harness is from an auto trans truck (do the engine and trans share the same computer?) or should I be looking for a manual trans equipped truck. Sorry for all the questions but, I've been wanting to do this for quite some time now. Since I don't have the funds to purchase a ready made harness, this seems like the best route for me. Thanks..........Hans
Old 11-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 29498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal
That's kinda of the route I was thinking of taking (more within my budget ) Question: Does it matter if the harness is from an auto trans truck (do the engine and trans share the same computer?) or should I be looking for a manual trans equipped truck. Sorry for all the questions but, I've been wanting to do this for quite some time now. Since I don't have the funds to purchase a ready made harness, this seems like the best route for me. Thanks..........Hans

Mine was from a auto trans S-10 Blazer,2.8l V6.works great on my 2.2l inline 6,manual trans.
If someday in the future I decide to build my mog into a tube buggy(It's a bit disturbing riding up high over the front end) I will likely go with a 4.9 ford 6 cyl or a 4.6 amc stroker 6 cyl and I'll keep the TBI setup on either

Most old TBI GM's only had torque converter lockup controlled by the ecm,and loads of people disconnected the trans so they wouldn't go into lockup.not a problem. You will need to lockout the advance in the distributor so the only ignition advance will be in the ecm.I mounted the pickup coil inside the Mercedes distributor with some machine work but you could just use a pre TFI Ford Dist. I hacksawed the Chevy distributor off to use it as a mount for the ignition module.
TJ,B2,Sold the Mog,BoughtCTD
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote