bronco II fuel tank in ranger? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2005, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 37510
bronco II fuel tank in ranger?

im planning on running a 3 link on my ranger, and i was thinking that as a more wallet friendly and time friendly option to a fuel cell would be to run a tank from a bronco II. I was basically wondering if this will swap in with a few extensions of some lines and wires. but without anything too major(needing new fuel pumps/plumbing of everything).

has anyone swapped one of these in before? by the way its going into a 94 ranger with the 2.3.
DaDunc205x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2005, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 44595
Send a message via MSN to 1badb2 Send a message via Yahoo to 1badb2
the B2 tank is huge...im ditching mine soon for a fuel cell cuz it gets in the way of my rear shocks and drags alot...unless you were to fit it into the bed...i imagine you can make it fit with modifications.

Spare parts? If you're shooting your weapon to failure, it means you're really good to have stayed alive through that much combat. You're not fucked, You're just down a weapon, go get another off of one of the many dead bodies you created
1badb2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2005, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 12943
Send a message via AIM to Jamus2 Send a message via Yahoo to Jamus2
I've been looking for a solution to the Ranger tank for awhile as well. Mine's a 94 and I've cut a driveshaft due to interference. I was thinking of putting one where the stock spare tire was at, dunno if that was your intentions as well. The rear frame rails on a Ranger are fairly narrow, can't fit a 31" spare between em. I have yet to find any tank, besides fuel cells, that would work without frame modifications/notching.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 37510
it will be behind the axle and it will be mouted inside/above the frame rails. the rear bed will be caged, with no bed, so im not worried about it being in the way of anything. plus, the shocks will be run off the trailing arms(putting them right behind the cab). i just wanted to see if the actual pumps and everything would mate up.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
winch operator

Member # 15473
Send a message via AIM to bobbywalter
move the shocks to the front of the axle, and beef the b2 skid plate or make a killer custom unit..

i need to do it to my ranger too cause i am sick of sagging my drivers side springs within a few months of fresh spring installs cause my tank is kept full and my fat ass is on that side too.

after watching danger ranger pound the fawk out of his setup i have no fears of it anymore.

i am surprised you didnt just raise yours badb2. i like the idea of having a tank big enough i dont have to stop for gas three times on the way to kentucky from detroit.

88 ranger ext cab pos hackjob powered by a 6.5 diesel clattering against a 4l80 thats punishing a f208 that is turning ford 60's rolling on 33-44 in tires depending on the mission at hand

how ya like me now??
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2005, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 44595
raising it w ouldnt of done what i wanted. i wanted to put both of my shocks facing back...because they go through my floor.

Spare parts? If you're shooting your weapon to failure, it means you're really good to have stayed alive through that much combat. You're not fucked, You're just down a weapon, go get another off of one of the many dead bodies you created
Old 12-30-2005, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 37510
does anyone know where i might be able to find a wiring diagram for either tanks?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 10063
You might try looking around (or posting) on www.therangerstation.com . Pretty sure this has been done before by at least a couple people.

As I understood it, you need to swap in the two rear frame crossmembers from the BII, and the tank will then nearly bolt right in (outside of plumbing/wiring stuff). Frame width is very close to (if not) the same.

The 23 gallon capacity of a BII tank is nice, I agree.

Last edited by 4x4junkie; 12-30-2005 at 06:11 PM.
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2005, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Mounted one in my friends 89 ranger between the rails in ft of the axle directly behind the cab. I made a strap mount and x-member for it with a removable skid under it in case DS breaks loose. Used the stock pump and level sender. The sender is close but not perfect. Is a trail rig though and better than guessing. It can be done though.

[B][URL="www.rightcoast4x4.com"]www.rightcoast4x4.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="http://www.dazednconfuzed.net/wp/"]www.dazednconfuzed.net[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.atozfabrication.com/"]www.atozfabrication.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.alltechmotorsports.com"]www.alltechmotorsports.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.davesoffroadsupply.com"]www.davesoffroadsupply.com[/URL][/B]

[QUOTE=FLEXYSAMMY;13977957]Yes you are correct Eric.[/QUOTE]
94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2005, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12943
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4junkie
You might try looking around (or posting) on www.therangerstation.com . Pretty sure this has been done before by at least a couple people.
That might work if the site wasn't down 90% of the time.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 44595
if you go to TRS..make sure you tell them you have D35. they hate us SAS people..right Junkie

Old 12-31-2005, 02:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 12943
Well, when TRS finally worked for me, I got some good info. May be a suprize to some of you, I know. Anyway, I also learned about the dual tank Rangers. They used a smaller version of the BII tank as an aux. tank. But since TRS is down, AGAIN!!!, I can't get any more info. Would anyone happen to know how many gallons this aux. tank is? And also if it has an opening for a normal sending unit. I'm oblivious to the workings of dual tanks.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
winch operator

Member # 15473
Send a message via AIM to bobbywalter
try going to the site 4 or 5 times in a row. its not down it just dont come up on the first hit for some reason.

the aux tank is 12 or 13 gal if i remember right. i have had two truck like that.

you can put in whatever type of front support you want to hang straps from.

88 ranger ext cab pos hackjob powered by a 6.5 diesel clattering against a 4l80 thats punishing a f208 that is turning ford 60's rolling on 33-44 in tires depending on the mission at hand

how ya like me now??
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 05:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 12943
Oh, ok, thought it may have been something strange like that. I found on there different accounts, some say 13, some 14 gallon. I could live with that as opposed to bed mods with the B2 tank. Only thing I still don't know is, can you get new aux tanks? Checked with Advanced auto and they were useless. Maybe they carry it, but the counter guy couldn't find it.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Yes Aux. tanks are still available. Look aorund for a place that sells fuel tanks local. We have a a local truck JY here that supplies my work with new fuel tanks.

[B][URL="www.rightcoast4x4.com"]www.rightcoast4x4.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="http://www.dazednconfuzed.net/wp/"]www.dazednconfuzed.net[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.atozfabrication.com/"]www.atozfabrication.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.alltechmotorsports.com"]www.alltechmotorsports.com[/URL][/B] [B][URL="www.davesoffroadsupply.com"]www.davesoffroadsupply.com[/URL][/B]

[QUOTE=FLEXYSAMMY;13977957]Yes you are correct Eric.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by 94toytruck; 12-31-2005 at 05:59 PM.
94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 10:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 10063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus2
That might work if the site wasn't down 90% of the time.
I don't think I've seen the site down more than once in the past 6 months, what problem are you having?

Quote:
if you go to TRS..make sure you tell them you have D35. they hate us SAS people..right Junkie
I don't think anyone there "hates" SAS people (many HAVE SAS trucks, you didn't notice??), but seems there are just a few that are not willing to see that there are infact other simple ways to get performance out of the junk they already had under there.

How that's relevant to swapping a gas tank, I'm not sure though...
Old 01-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 57148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badb2
the B2 tank is huge...im ditching mine soon for a fuel cell cuz it gets in the way of my rear shocks and drags alot...unless you were to fit it into the bed...i imagine you can make it fit with modifications.
I got a little worried in a rock garden crashing the gas tank on rocks. While I was happy for the skid plate, I want to relocate the tank up into the bed.
bigerikt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 12943
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4junkie
I don't think I've seen the site down more than once in the past 6 months, what problem are you having?
Like Bobbywalter said, just have to keep at it with clicking. It does eventually work. Everyone on there says that you can't get a new aux tank. I'm not too confident in a used gas tank. They're only $100 if they carry em, so I've always got new.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:25 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 54567
I did this swap on my 87 long bed. I moved the driverside shock to forward position to clear the tank. The only reason I had to do this was because my bed was bobbed 13" and my frame 11". All the way to the back of the shackle hanger. I also was able to retain my stock fuel tank crossmembers by just relocating the front one to the underside of the top frame rail and moving the rear forward. This also raises the tank 5" or so making it just about the same height as the stock tank. You will have to cut a hole in your bed to clear the top of the tank. It will only stick out an 1" or 2". I had a piece of diamond plate formed to cover it and bolt in. This makes it really easy to acess your sending unit by not having to drop the tank. As far as the fuel lines and electrical connections I was able to use my stock stuff because I already had the stock one behind the axle. If you dont, it shouldnt be to hard to make it work, just extending the stock stuff, nothing to hard.

I aquired a rust free fuel tank from a wrecking yard here in CA for $35 pus $15 shipping and it came complete with a sending unit. Take a look at car-part.com, thats where I found the great deal on mine. In the end it turned out great for not much coin.
Outlawz4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.