EB 3G Alternator Upgrade - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 05:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 67095
EB 3G Alternator Upgrade

Anyone done this upgrade? I bought one from BC Broncos. They send along a wiring guide. There are also a few postings out on the net about how to wire it up. I would like to hear from someone first hand on how they did it b/c I know the big alternator could fry your system and all the wires have to be redone, etc. Just want to make sure it`s done right the first time. This weekend will be the first real road trip from Houston to Austin and back in the Bronco after months of work and thousands of dollars.
LilRed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5574
I have one wired up in my EB, came on a '96 5.8 from a LMB. It's just as Chuck's PDF file says, the main wiring exists the alternator in a loom and at the opposite end is a lug terminal that goes on the starter solenoid (same post as the positive battery terminal) and also has the LG/Rd wire. I run the LG/Rd wire to a spade terminal on the fuse block, the fuse block is hot in crank and run and all my EFI wiring runs through it. I also have another aftermarket fuse block for all the wiring that needs to be hot all the time.

I do not run the stock EB amp gauge, instead I have an aftermarket volt gauge. I'm much less converned with the amps being produced and more worried that without a charging system I may not be able to get it started.
Joe
rjlougee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links