OBDII mass air 460 vs. a OBDI 460 SD converted to mass air??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9468
Send a message via ICQ to masterbeavis Send a message via AIM to masterbeavis Send a message via MSN to masterbeavis Send a message via Yahoo to masterbeavis
OBDII mass air 460 vs. a OBDI 460 SD converted to mass air???

I talked to a guy today who drives a '96 F250 with a 460 that is factory mass air, and is OBDII. He states he gets 8MPG no matter what, since the day the truck was new. Aftermarket support=shitty. HE also states that the truck has plenty of power, but he can feel the computer rob timing as it prepares to shift under load, bogging the motor down. The motor falls flat on its face at 4K.(typical) His speed density '95 similarly equiped could burn the tires easily, the '96 wont. Mileage was also somewhat better as well. A guy I knew with a '97 said he got 14-16 MPG unloaded with a very light foot, and know a guy with a '92 that gets 12-14 under same conditions. All trucks wer E4OD's. Is this guys poor mileage a fluke, or these other guys got lucky with their mileage claims.

Ive had my eye on a beat down '97 with mass air and was thinking about buying the truck and swapping said induction over to my Bronco. Based on what this guy told me, I almost think its not worth the hassle. Would I be better off running OBDI mass air from a small block modded to the big block? Ive had problems with the diagnostics not telling me shit for OBDI systems, they are very vauge. OBDII spells out what the problem is more or less.

THoughts? Discuss.
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote