Advice needed: Flex plate area noise??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29565
Advice needed: Flex plate area noise???

For the past month or so, Iíve been hearing a noise from my truck, and I donít know what it is. Here are the symptoms:

When going forwards, it makes no noise whatsoever. If you put the auto trans in reverse under load (backing up a hill or even sitting still holding foot on brake while applying throttle in reverse) it makes a sound similar to fan blades hitting metal....the sound seems to be coming from the torque converter/flex plate area. I am certain that the motor mounts are good (they are solid steel mounts), as the engine does not budge when placed under load in forwards or reverse. Iím sure that the fan is not hitting anything, as it has no shroud and is nowhere close to any metal objects. Iíve thought that if there was a problem with the flex plate, it would have to make the sound while going forwards...the flex plate and torque converter are always moving the same direction. Again, it only makes the sound while in reverse under load...it does it in 2wd and in 4wd.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Roy
Dana 70-U: Welded
4 Wheel Disc Brakes
MM 12K Electric Winch
Dual Batteries, A-6 OBA
No Lift, 42" TSL's on 15x8's
78Buford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 77599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Buford
For the past month or so, Iíve been hearing a noise from my truck, and I donít know what it is. Here are the symptoms:

When going forwards, it makes no noise whatsoever. If you put the auto trans in reverse under load (backing up a hill or even sitting still holding foot on brake while applying throttle in reverse) it makes a sound similar to fan blades hitting metal....the sound seems to be coming from the torque converter/flex plate area. I am certain that the motor mounts are good (they are solid steel mounts), as the engine does not budge when placed under loaded in forwards or reverse. Iím sure that the fan is not hitting anything, as it has no shroud and is nowhere close to any metal objects. Iíve thought that if there was a problem with the flex plate, it would have to make the sound while going forwards...the flex plate and torque converter are always moving the same direction. Again, it only makes the sound while in reverse under load...it does it in 2wd and in 4wd.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Roy
How much clearance between the torque converter nuts/bolts and the block plate? You might be able to see in there to see if the block plate is marked up. I would think there would be some fine shavings or something if it was rubbing there, but maybe not. What's the endplay on your crankshaft? How much play was there before the torque converter was bolted to the flex plate?

I guess it could be something internal to the tranny but I would think it would be more of a dull noise.

Try unbolting the torque converter and see how much clearance you have when the converter is pushed all the way back into the tranny.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 29565
If anyone has this problem in the future and searches for the same thing:

Check your transmission to engine block bolts. Several of mine had started backing out. I have solid motor mounts, and this likely had something to due with it (the vibrations) I tightened all of them, and haven't had any more noise....since a few days after I posted this question.

Roy
Dana 70-U: Welded
4 Wheel Disc Brakes
MM 12K Electric Winch
Dual Batteries, A-6 OBA
No Lift, 42" TSL's on 15x8's
78Buford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
MASTER TECH

Member # 54844
broken flex plate - have had a few at work that did that - if the truck was fine before and just started - than i would lean twards that -
: me fuckers

build up of the truggy
/forum/ford/544813-update-pics.html
f250rollinon37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 36399
your too late
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Buford View Post
If anyone has this problem in the future and searches for the same thing:

Check your transmission to engine block bolts. Several of mine had started backing out. I have solid motor mounts, and this likely had something to due with it (the vibrations) I tightened all of them, and haven't had any more noise....since a few days after I posted this question.

Roy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.