Borg Warner Transfer Case - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2006, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 47067
Borg Warner Transfer Case

Hey Ford guys I am in a problem and could use some expert advise. I am familar with the old Ford's ( like my 79 F-250 4X4 ) but anything newer than that I don't know alot about. Here is the problem. My wifes 89 F-250 4X4 (5.0\5 speed \ Borg Warner t-case) dropped the rear driveline this morning. When I went and took a look at it, the output shaft from the transfer case had sheared off. The shop tells me that it is $1700 for a re-built and thats alot more than I want to dump right now.

So here is the question. Is this a common problem with the Borg Warner t-case, and if so what causes it? Second: Is it a good idea to just replace it with another BW case or would it be feasable to swap to something like a NP-208?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
srscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ocean bound

Member # 9925
I don't know any details about which unit that might be, but here are the basic considerations for replacement without extra expenses.

Has to match for length, width, crossmember mount, spline count, shifter style, etc to keep from having to do other mods (driveshaft length, shifter position, etc). And that's assuming you find a 208 (which is crap) to mount up to that '5-speed'.

Based on that, plus it being wife's rig, I'd say you want to ID the exact model that's there & then hit the yards. Here in CO, you can hit the right day of the month & they'll be having a 'any t-case for $50' kinda special. Might be a lot more, but better than $1700 & a lot less work than putting a 208 in.

Check out our blog. We've bought a trimaran and are headed toward the Panama Canal and beyond this fall. www.losemynumberblog.com
loveshackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48716
Send a message via AIM to VerticalTRX
Its a BW1356, probably a slip yoke model. Any ford T-case will bolt up as they are all interchangeable with the same spline count and bolt pattern. With that being said, I'd try to put another 1356 back in it, its a stronger unit than the NP208. Another option is a BW1345, which came in the earlier F-series trucks ('80-86) I believe.

No thats not a common problem, I've never heard of it before. Are you sure its not a slip-yoke model and the slip-yoke just slid out? Oh, and $1700 is highway robbery, a 1356 in top notch shape goes for $500 max at the junk yard, I've seen them as low as $50.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 47067
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalTRX
Its a BW1356, probably a slip yoke model. Any ford T-case will bolt up as they are all interchangeable with the same spline count and bolt pattern. With that being said, I'd try to put another 1356 back in it, its a stronger unit than the NP208. Another option is a BW1345, which came in the earlier F-series trucks ('80-86) I believe.

No thats not a common problem, I've never heard of it before. Are you sure its not a slip-yoke model and the slip-yoke just slid out? Oh, and $1700 is highway robbery, a 1356 in top notch shape goes for $500 max at the junk yard, I've seen them as low as $50.
It is not a slip-yoke, the drive shaft still has the end of the tail shaft attached. This suprised me to because all the later model transfer cases that I have seen (NP 231 etc) were slip yoke. It is a fixed yoke just like the NP-205's that are in everything else I own.

The only other BW case I have ever seen was the 1345 that was in an 81 F-250 I had years ago. Well I guess it's off to the yards.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 63546
I don't like the 1356 that much. It's light but not the best. Too wide for a ranger too! I'm takin mine out and puttin in a 205.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 48716
Send a message via AIM to VerticalTRX
srscout, a lot of the 1356's did come with fixed yoke, however I thought they were mostly in broncos and the SWB F-series.

mooktank, if your getting rid of it (and its fixed yoke, manual shift) I might be interested.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 47067
I found another website with pictures of various transfer cases and I am quite sure it is a 1345. I will get the tag numbers tomorow and find out for sure. Thanks for the info guys--- much appreciated.

BTW they listed the 1345 in the Bronco and f-series up to 89, so this would make sence because it is an 89 light duty F-250. Also found rebuilts for $650 plus exchange, is this a fair price?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14848
Yeah, that is a pretty fair price for a reman, if it was done well. I would personally just go find one at a junk yard for $100, the biggest problem BW1356's had was oil pump/case problems. The 1356 chain is about twice as wide a an NP208 chain. It is a very strong case for its application. I have heard it called the toughest late model chain drive case.

BTW, I highly doubt it is a BW1345, maybe, but I have personaly never seen one in a '89 that wasn't swapped in.

You say it was fixed yoke, did it have a flanged yoke, or a standard yoke, just currious...

Later,
Jason
Old 12-01-2006, 03:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 63546
Mine is a slip yoke. I think the threads are messed up because it keeps coming loose from my transmission. It worked fine and never broke but it won't fit inside my frame. It's a manual shift too.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 25089
About time i found some info on the BW transfer cases. I havent yet searched this site on them but when i asked a couple of 4x4 shops they looked at me like "whats that?". How is the 1345 for strength? and does it have the inherent weakness that the 1356 has with the oil pump spinning?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 47067
Hey Guys
I found the numbers on the case and got ahold of an outfit in California that rebuilds transfer cases. It is a fixed yoke 1345 and did come factory in the 89 F-250's as an option.
They have rebuilt ones for a decent price and I don't have to ship my core back. That's the route I am going to go. I need one more piece of info for them and I will order on Monday.
Thanks for all the help.