Factory Sterling 10.5 limited slip question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9468
Send a message via ICQ to masterbeavis Send a message via AIM to masterbeavis Send a message via MSN to masterbeavis Send a message via Yahoo to masterbeavis
Factory Sterling 10.5 limited slip question

Is the 10.5" sterling limited slip any better functioning than the trash lock we all cherish and love (to throw in the trash?) PNP has a couple of these units, I was thinking of grabbing one from a truck that looks the least burned to the ground (christ, they have a great deal of late model stuff too, all burned to the ground)
The end installation will be in my 4 door Bronco, used for towing, and the occasional "crap I am stuck" moments.

Their prices seem outrageous for a few things, If I dont separate the ring gear, its going to cost me another $40!!! The pinion is another $40. the entire axle housing is only $120!! Shit, its cheaper to buy the entire housing. :/
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 56456
Depends what your doing with it. I am sure it would be ok for a weekend warrior kinda rig, I just welded my posi up hehe. Pretty much if you want something off an axle, you should just buy the entire thing at the yard
Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Huh?

Member # 50680
Eh, straight from the factory it should be called and un-limited slip. Mine never gave good traction unless I was in really soft stuff i.e. sand or slippery as snot mud.

I've had to work the brake to get the LS to lock up to get me out of precarious situations, like the time I got high-centered on a small berm with both my front tires just kissing the ground. I got out, but I sat there spinning and hopping a good 5 minutes trying to get the LS to lock and drag me off.

NOW, that being said, when I changed my gear oil, I went straight Mobil 1 without adding any of the factory LS additive and that sucker LOCKED everywhere. I'd feel the ass end of my truck skipping and shuddering around turns and never had any 'o-shit' moments...but then again I chalked the last one up to my superior off-hwy driving ability.

If I were to do it again...I'd skip it and just get a REAL locker.
MunkeyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 50971
my factory limided slip is pretty much locked up also, chatters on turns and skips tires , i love it.
fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 48716
Send a message via AIM to VerticalTRX
I got one in my '88 F-250, it locks pretty hard on the street (always spins both tires), but off-road its mediocre at best.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9468
Send a message via ICQ to masterbeavis Send a message via AIM to masterbeavis Send a message via MSN to masterbeavis Send a message via Yahoo to masterbeavis
I am talking about a superduty, 98 and up limited no-go. Is there any difference in the way its put together, or how well it will or wont hold up in relation to the 10.25. Somebody once told me it was a bias type unit. The old style were not. I don't want a locker, this truck see's more towing duties than wheeling adventures. I dont want the unpredictability of a non selectable locker, or having the rear end locked up in a turn.
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 51692
Send a message via ICQ to rocknbronco Send a message via Yahoo to rocknbronco
your factor lsd should work fine with what your doing but to have a locker that can work as a ls then go to lock at your needs that might be the best set up around cant recall where I hear it or who makes it.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 33016
Send a message via Yahoo to oppy
Truetrac