Dana 44 use a Crush Sleeve? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 87085
Dana 44 use a Crush Sleeve?

Does a '78 Bronco Dana 44 use a crush sleeve? If not, I'm OK. If yes, then I'm in trouble. I would think it does but I can't find it. I pulled the pinion out a few weeks ago and am real good about keeping all my parts together, but I can't find a crush sleeve to go with it.

Thanks.

Rob

Last edited by 4x4rob; 03-26-2007 at 04:21 PM.
4x4rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Look at your shim stacks, you'll figure it out.
NO, most Dana Axles use shims to set pinion bearing preload

Read between the lines
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com

Last edited by guidolyons; 03-26-2007 at 08:47 PM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 30525
NO, shims determine bearing preload.
Zebrafive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 87085
ahhh, since there are no shims on the pinion gear behind the bearing, only the oil slinger, there is no crush sleeve. Right?

Thanks.

Rob
Old 03-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Why did you remove the pinion? Do you have an in/lb torque wrench to measure the pinion bearing preload when you reassemble it?
Dial indicator to measure backlash?
If you kept track of your shims and put everything back where it came from, you should be able to get it back together with in spec with out too much trouble.

To further complicate things, if you are swapping gears, you may need to adjust pinion depth with a shim (in addition to the oil slinger). I suggest you do some more reading before you tear into that diff much further.

May I suggest some light reading from Billavista? http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/te...sta/Gear_Setup

Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 87085
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Why did you remove the pinion? Do you have an in/lb torque wrench to measure the pinion bearing preload when you reassemble it?
Dial indicator to measure backlash?
If you kept track of your shims and put everything back where it came from, you should be able to get it back together with in spec with out too much trouble.

To further complicate things, if you are swapping gears, you may need to adjust pinion depth with a shim (in addition to the oil slinger). I suggest you do some more reading before you tear into that diff much further.

May I suggest some light reading from Billavista? http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/te...sta/Gear_Setup
Thanks for the lesson but I don't need it. I've been setting up gears for over 10 years. I am only trying to figure out if I've lost the crush sleeve or not. Stay focused. If you don't know the answer, don't reply and don't derail my posting.

Last edited by 4x4rob; 03-27-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rob View Post
Thanks for the lesson but I don't need it. I've been setting up gears for over 10 years. I am only trying to figure out if I've lost the crush sleeve or not. Stay focused. If you don't know the answer, don't reply and don't derail my posting.
Did you setup one set of gears 10 years ago? or have been doing them (a few a month) for 10 years.
For someone who has been setting up gears that long, I would of hoped when you installed your preload shims on the pinon, you owuld of thought "Hey this axle can't run preload shims, and a crushsleve"

I've never seen a Ford front 44 use a crush sleve.
I have seen Ford D44 rears with one, and jeep D44's.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 87085
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
Did you setup one set of gears 10 years ago? or have been doing them (a few a month) for 10 years.
For someone who has been setting up gears that long, I would of hoped when you installed your preload shims on the pinon, you owuld of thought "Hey this axle can't run preload shims, and a crushsleve"

I've never seen a Ford front 44 use a crush sleve.
I have seen Ford D44 rears with one, and jeep D44's.
??? What are you guys 10 years old?

FYI junior, Ford and GM use preload shims AND crush sleeves in the rearends so keep your wisdom to yourself. You've blown my cover genius. This is the first Dana 44 front axle I've worked on. Congratuations, you've knocked me off my throne. Anyway, I've figured it out. The pinion can't use a crush sleeve because there is no shoulder on the gear for it. Now I know that I didn't misplace it. I appreciate all complicated asinine help for such a simple question. I'll remember this the next time I have a question. You're a benefit to the internet.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 43190
Quote:

FYI junior, Ford and GM use preload shims AND crush sleeves in the rearends so keep your wisdom to yourself. You've blown my cover genius. This is the first Dana 44 front axle I've worked on. Congratuations, you've knocked me off my throne. Anyway, I've figured it out. The pinion can't use a crush sleeve because there is no shoulder on the gear for it. Now I know that I didn't misplace it. I appreciate all complicated asinine help for such a simple question. I'll remember this the next time I have a question. You're a benefit to the internet.
I also figured it out for myself as well, when I did one of these axles. I took it apart and there was no crush sleeve. I says to myself and I quote " self this axle has no crush sleeve." End quote.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Quote:

Thanks for joining the board, remember to use the log out button.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Apparently, you do or you would not have asked if the D44 used a crush sleeve, nor did you explain why you had removed the pinion, what your plans were, or what your level of tools and experience. From your huge amount of input I could only assume you were a FUCKIN DIPSHIT NEWB...have a nice day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.