Pirate 4x4 banner

Early Bronco Front and Rear Axle Rebuild, Torque Specs, Disk Brakes, and More!

10K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  blazinchuck 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I picked up a a matching pair of axles from a '77 Bronco for my Jeep project. I am currently in the process of tearing 'em down, cleaning 'em up, and rebuilding them. I have a few questions and would really appreciate your help!

1) Disk brakes: I plan on installing them front and rear. eBay always has kits available, but I really like the write up that was posted here on the Ford forum where the guy did the rear disk brakes for less than $250. I really need a parking brake though... As for the front, eBay seems to be the most affordable solution, but are there other places I should look? For those that did the disk brake swap, where did you get your parts from?

2) Rear 9": I just bought a new pinion seal, 2 axles seals, and 2 wheel bearings. I have the small bearing 9" by the way. Before I take off the yoke and remove the pinion support to install the new pinion seal do I need to measure the preload on the pinion?

3) Front Dana 44: The majority of the disk brakes kits provide you with new spindles. I disassembled the driver's side of the axle all the way down to the spindle. My ultimate goal was to pull out the shafts to inspect the u-joints and seals. I'm pretty sure all the u-joints and seals are original and this year would be 30 years old! Anyway, the spindle seems to be frozen onto the knuckle :mad3: . Is there a good way of taking it off without destroying it? I tried using a rubber mallet, then tried butting up some round stock aluminum and striking it with a BFH, then tried using a putty knife to try and separate the two :shaking:. What else could work?

4) What gear oil is recommended for each axle? I have a limited slip in the 9".

5) Torque specs: If any of you know these, please provide them.
Rear end:
-10 bolts on the 3rd member
-5 bolts that attach the pinion support to the 3rd member
-4 nuts on the axle retaining plate
-the nut that attaches the yoke to the pinion

Front end:
-the nut that attaches the yoke to the pinion

I also plan on installing one ton style, 1350 sized yokes on both axles.
I greatly appreciate your time in reading my post and for your help!! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Shoulda bought my Dana 44 :p . I converted it to disc's in the front. All I did was go to the junkyard and find the same axle with disc's and pull the knuckles off with all the attached hardware. I know that doesn't help but I'm just letting you know what I did.

Those spindles are a bitch. I used a brass punch that was about 2inches round and placed it on the area between the wheel bearing surfaces (on the spindle) and beat on it with a BFH. Brass is hard enough to beat on and soft enough it won't damage the spindle. Just stay away from the outer threads.

Maybe some heat on the knuckle will help. I've had good luck heating and cooling parts through cycles a couple times to get the metals to expand and contract mulitple times.

I see that you tried the ole' chisel trick too... sometimes that helps...

There are companies that make spindle hammers that i "believe" thread onto the spindle and have a slid hammer. Never used one and never seen one, just going by what i've heard, so i might not be correct.

good luck

#4 ·
I agree, if it was a '77 it should have had front discs already. Also, weren't all the '77 9" housings big bearing axles with the "heavier built" center sections? Are you sure you got 1977 axles?

#8 ·
agree on both accounts.

Also, Like it was said, thats a drum brake spindle. They are junk, beat the ever living piss out of it to remove it. Don't repleace the u-joints in the axle.
Its a 260x u-joint, VERY small. A bronco shop like Wild Horses will sell you new axles with a 297/760 joint.

To convert to disc, find a 44 from a GM or A jeep Waggy, and grab the sipindles out, (no need for the wheel hub or rotor) Get a new rotor for any 78-94 bronco, and use your current wheel hub.

#6 ·
Well, I was told they were '77. I at one point thought they should have been disk brakes too at that year. So I guess they're older but I got 'em free so it really doesn't bother me. What make and model in the junkyard did you get the knuckles for the disk brakes off of? I want to keep my 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern.
Thanks for the responses!
Mark

#7 ·
I was thinkin that too, Discs started up front in 74 or 75 if I remember right. That being said there were only a few years of D44 drum brakes in the EB's, before that they were D30's. might want to check that out and make sure you got what you were suppose to get.

as far as converting it you've got two cheap options. The first is to buy another D44 solid axle from a pre-80's ford and swap everything from the knuckles out over to your axle. if you can find a junkyard to just sell you everything from the knuckles out, great, but they'll probably charge you as much as a complete axle since a tube and stock carrier aren't worth a whole lot. Also there are several people who have converted over using chebby parts. since the chebby solid fronts were a little more common than the fords, this would probably be the cheapest/easiest option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.