Pirate 4x4 banner

Newbie style BII / Ranger question...

604 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  4x4junkie 
#1 ·
No, its not Tuesday :flipoff2:

I have been starting to look for a new daily driver. The newer Rangers are sweet, but out of my price range right now. So I have began looking at the older (late 80's to early 90's) Rangers and Bronco II's... most of which are the 2.8 or 2.9 engines.

A) How many miles do these engines run if properly maintained?

B) What kind of fuel mileage can be expected?

C) Do the older autos shit out as often as the newer ones... so should I look for a 5spd?

D) Any major issues I should look for with one of these?

Thanks in advance, and yes... I am wearing my nomex suit!!! :D

#2 ·
a- mine has 245,000 still runs strong
b- 10-20
c-yes
d-stock front axles are super weak, trans suck, rear axles suck crawl ratio sucks but its a ford and always has room to upgrade

#4 ·
For a DD/light duty wheeler the autos are fine, just make sure the lock up converter is working BEFORE you buy. The 2.9 is a good little motor, I had 250,000+ on my last one. I never had major engine work done to it in all those miles, just good maint. The 2.3 is a good motor as well, not much power but that can be fixed with all the aftermarket support. If U get a 5spd with a sloppy shifter U will just have to live with it:( I got right around 17MPG with my last 2.9 auto BII with 32's on it.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guys... Shit, I guess they don't get the mileage that I thought they did??? If I am only going to get 17 I may as well buy a fullsize. My buddy has a Dodge 1500 w/ a 318 and a 5spd and he gets 16-19mpg. Basically I need something to drive for work (anywhere from 50-400 miles a day) that is 4wd and will haul my 3 kids on occasion, plus needs to haul a ladder.

I was thinking a Ranger Xtracab or BII, or a 4runner or Toyota Xtracab, but if the fuel mileage is only gonna be 2 or so better mpg, the I may as well buy a fullsize and have more room...right???

#6 ·
Mine gets in the low-20s easy for HWY mileage (usually between 22-23, although I've had as much as 24 a couple times).
I will also add that I usually cruise it around 55-60 MPH though (the MPG drops quite rapidly when going faster than that).

You have to make sure the thing is geared properly for the tires (mine has 5.13s on 35s). The 2.9L in particular becomes a big-time gas guzzler if it can't spin enough RPMs (about 2700-2800 for 60 MPH)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.