Pirate 4x4 banner

F250 front axle identification needed

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Patrol 
#1 ·
Sorry to bother you guys, but I've got an 1989 F250 Diesel at a customer which *should* have either a D44 or D50 front end. It IS an I-beam type axle but the shafts are 31 spline instead of 30 like the D44 and D50 should have. We need a new passenger side inner & outer driveshaft due to a grenaded U-joint but no one seems to know which axle this is. I called Randys Ring&Pinion and even they have never seen a 31 spline axle under a Ford, nor does Dana Spicer know anything about such an axle.
Is there anyone who could know ?

Thanks !

#5 ·
I now told my customer to get the rig in my shop and check the whole axle. I do have the trashed axle shaft here and it is definitaly a 19 outer and 31 inner.

#11 · (Edited)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh..............................
Now you're shedding some light on it ! I was thinking the pumpkin is on the passenger side and not drivers side:homer:
The door tag was my first thought also, but it's obviously gone long time ago :mad3: so I asked the guy to take pics and send them to me to identify a 44 or 50 and then again check to see if I can get a spare.
Any experience where the best place might be to get one ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.