Pirate 4x4 banner

How the hell...

1K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  JMF350 
#1 ·
do you take the two-piece 9" carrier apart? I've been trying for hours to take this damn thing apart, and it won't budge. From what little i've seen online, they just press together and are held together by the ring gear bolts. Thing is, I've removed the ring gear and bolts and they seem to be welded together or something. Is this a common problem? If so, why the hell did ford make it so you can't pry them apart? This is getting on my last nerve and I don't want to spend the money on another carrier when I already have one right here.

#3 · (Edited)
If this is one-piece, then I want to know how Ford got the spiders inside. :p

I bought a minispool and if I can't get this apart, I'm looking for another carrier to install it into.

You can see where the two flanges meet in the bolt holes, but nothing I do will force them apart.

#8 · (Edited)
could this be it?

oh nevermind i just realised thats a different carrier...:rasta:

could this have anything to do with it?

ive only done one regear before with a friend so i dont have alot of experience with diffferentials yet. so i might seem a bit stupid

#9 ·
the 1st pic looks like where the screw came out of mine when I split it. I have only taken one apart before. I DONT DO gears either, but I put in a mini spool in a 9'' before.

#10 · (Edited)
That one circled in the second picture is a bent piece of metal (roll pin?)...it's not threaded... there are three of them all located over the center pins..look like center pin retainers to me.

This is confuzzling the hell out of me...could it be aftermarket?

If I can put the minispool in the posi carrier, I'll just do that...it'll be alot easier seeing as the ring gear is so much thicker ( you can see the 3.00 ring gear in the other pictures) and I won't have to reset the backlash. If someone can confirm this for me I'll be golden.

#12 ·
Hopefully someone with more smarts can chime in. The 9'' that I put a mini spool in was a 28 spline open case from a Early Bronco. I remember taking out a screw from the gear face side of the carrier. :confused:

#19 · (Edited)
it must not be the original then, thats the only thing i can think of. Is there any way you can look up the serial number on it to see what it is?

have you tried using a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to try and wedge it apart at the edges?

#21 ·
WHere did you try to put the screwdriver? There is a split in the carrier just below centerline of the spider pins.... the carrier splits there. The rollpins are factory and would help ALOT if they could be removed. Can you get ahold of any of the rollpin? If not, get the skinniest screwdriver or putty knife to start the split, then work up to bigger (thicker) prying tools. Hope this helps.

#23 ·
Are you sure? Every exploded diagram shows that the carrier splits between the flanges, and pictures of split carriers confirm this. Are you trying to get me to destroy my carrier? There's obviously no seam in the area you're referring to.

#24 ·
Those roll pins are whats stopping you. Looks like a factory unit based on the part # on it, but I cant imagine why the one half isnt drilled through for the pins.
I was going to suggest using a press, but looking at how the halves are configured, I dont see a way to get it in and get the bitch split. Could try putting a bearing puller on it, put it in press, apply force to the crosspin through the center(where the axle goes in) But I bet the result would be pulling the bearing off.

I wouldnt use the posi carrier even if the spool fit it- those are known for having thin "short" side carriers around the ring gear bolt heads.

Keep at it with thin screwdrivers and chisels or find another one.

#25 · (Edited)
Press fit. You can use a puller to separate. (careful - I wrecked a carrier bearing though :homer: )The posi's usually have the screws holding them together. The open diffs do not.

EDIT: If the extra 2 holes are threaded, and only appear in one case half... thread in a couple of bolts and they should pop the case apart.

You need to check if the case halves will accept the fatter 31-spline shafts. Some do, some don't. If not, you can have them bored out, but it may be easier to find a large bore case.

#26 · (Edited)
I'm looking at this and, I'm wondering is this a trac loc or posi of some kind? If so...dont think you can install a spool inside of it. I installed a mini spool, but it was an open carrier and I think the ring gear bolts held it all together??? Not positive. The one pic has counter sunk bolts for the ring gear-that one should be a trac-lock for sure.

notice the center...looks like a block-very similar to trac-locks...just a thought

#27 ·
There's a 4-spider open diff too. The block is there to contain the two 'stub' crosshafts.

This is a typical trac-loc... notice how this side of the case appears fuller. The bolts are recessed, are longer, and have smaller heads.

#28 · (Edited)
The one that's not installed in the 3rd has the larger shorter ring gear bolts...it's an open diff case. The pictures are of two different cases.

I may be getting another axle soon that should be 31 spline, I'll check out the diff when I get it. If it's 31 spline and able to be opened, I'll just scrap all of these and use that one. I wanted to use that 4.10 set up 3rd though...but if this axle is also 4.10 I'll be golden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.