Pirate 4x4 banner

ford 302

972 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  dusmcbro 
#1 ·
Any recommendations on a good tranny and tcase combo to run behind a 302? Nothing too crazy. Of course something not too harsh on the pocket book either.

TIA

#2 ·
A little more info would help out alot... come on man, learn how to work :shaking:

What vehicle?
Specs?
Auto or manual?
What kind of wheelin' do you do?

Some good choices for trannys are a C4, AOD, ZF, T18, NP435
For a case you could run a NP205, NP203, D20, BW1356, NP208, etc...

Just remember, automatics are for girls :flipoff2:

#3 ·
Poohbair you say automatics are for girls then why are most mud trucks automatics? I myself have a AOD and BW1356 and it is alot better than my old C6 and NP205. The cheapest you are going to find I think is a NP435 and maybe a NP 208, or 205.

#5 · (Edited)
I say that because automatics are solidly shitty, unreliable, power robbing piles of shit... and most mud trucks are autos because your shit does not have to be reliable if you are only looking at a 150' long mud pit...until you get in a little to deep... then have a nice walk home cause your shitty auto has water in it and left you stranded.

#8 ·
C4 D20 was the choice for my buggy

autos are every bit as reliable as manuals if you know what you are doing. An auto with a man valve body gives you the play of a manual without burning the clutch in the rocks, rrolling backwards, etc..

#9 ·
autos are every bit as reliable as manuals if you know what you are doing
more true than most realize!

i however am running 435/D20 and it has held up in my bronco. it was the best choice at the time (already had the D20 and the 435 was free). if i had to do it again i would prolly end up doing C6/203/205 with manual valve body!

-cutts-

#10 · (Edited)
302 out of a 72 bronco. The motor is already in my jeep which will be on the rocks. it's set up with full width d44 5.38 gears. I need something that will leave the tcase driver side drop and automatic. you know with out having to put some kinda flip kit in. any more info needed?

#11 ·
I think it was best stated by Keith over in General 4x4 Chat...

Yep, auto's are so great cuz things like the rear of the cases never break, they have such huge shafts, the clutches never slip, they never overheat, they run so well with some water in them, their coolers are so convienent, the sealing rings and lip seals never wear out, they are so cheap and easy to get them with compression braking, their snap rings never pop out of place, the sprags are just stouter than hell, they make drive shaft clearance a thing of beauty, they never have to be overfilled so they dont suck air in the pump, the converter hubs never brake off, and the flex plates never crack. Oh forgot, they are a breeze to push start

#13 ·
ive never had any trouble with either of them offroad. going through tons of mud and water autos and manuals have been good for me. the only trouble ive had was the c6 went out on my dd. but its 2wd and never sees the mud. it went out because of all the burnouts and rodding on it with the 460.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.