Pirate 4x4 banner

Family hauler/crawler

9K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  rocknbronco 
#1 ·
Well I got this today for free just had to pick it up. 93 F350 CrewCab, 460, ZF5, HPD60 and 10.25. I drove it on the trailer though there is an exhaust leak that I need to fix.

My plans are to ditch the bed and shortin the wheel base. Put a small flat bed on it and a full cage (got to keep the little ones safe). I am not gunna get to crazy on it just want a safe wheeler to take the family out in. Run a set of 38.5 TSL's that I have.

The wife said to get it built so we can go wheelin ASAP so money is free to spend. :flipoff2: What all would you recomend for this build??

Will

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
YOU are a bastard! :flipoff2:

how come i can never find a good deal like that? damn! you need to go play the lottery or something

you have so many ways to go with this build its not even funny. i'd pull the bed, pull the cab back a couple of feet, bring in the rear axle forward to attain about 110" wheelbase, hack off the rest, 4 link it F/R, and tube it out!

thats IF i was gonna do a trail rig.

however i would prolly gut the truck of the 460 and ZF and swap in a CTD with NV4500... THAT would be a wicked tow rig!

-cutts-

#3 ·
yeah, like u said; shorten the WB than full cage. bring it out the back of the cab to tie in to whatever u do in the back. than protect some of the body, like exo on the front clip and sliders. maybe even cut out the cab corners at an angle.

#6 · (Edited)
shorten the wheel base, run 63" chevy rears, 52" chevy fronts with that 60, hack the crap out of the front fenders, move the battery(s) to the rear, run like 4" lift and 38's to 42's. With that low of a lift, the heater blower motor and front core support/body mount will be the problems. Expect to move the core support mounts Moving the front axle forward an inch or two would help a lot with the heater. Flat bed the rear, get a bronco tank (33 gallon between frame rail tank) klune to a 205, and you are GOLDEN

this is 42's with about 6 to 7" front lift with the fenders cut as mentioned above. im in the process of redoing the core suport (inboarding the mounts)

#9 ·
thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming. the wife will be looking at this from time to time so ideas are good. I am not sure if i want to link it or just run leaves. I want to keep the build kinda simple though. :homer: I was thinking of pinching the front clip. Would it be worth it to swap in a kingpin 60??

I wanted to build an exploder but this was hard to pass up for the price. :flipoff2: The wife asked me today when I was going to start workin on it. I think she is as eager to get this going as I am.

Plug that is a sweet bronco.

This is why I am not using it for a tow rig:D

Will

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Nice score! If I was in your shoes, this is what I would do:

- Remove the bed (possibly use the skins on the cage)
- Push the rear axle forward to obtain a 115"-120" wb (Gonna be limited by crewcab)
- Replace rear springs with a softer rate pack, or remove leafs to get desired spring rate, shackle flip in rear if necessary for height
- Narrow front end for trail visibility
- Build bed cage that ties in to internal cab cage.
- Build half doors?
- 42's :D
- Gear and lock accordingly
- Hydro assist

Oh yeh, remove running boards!

Do a search for user 'willyswanter'. He has a Chevy crew cab. Would be good for getting ideas.

That is a sweet looking Bronco Plug Ugly.

#12 ·
you have a 60 already dont you? otherwise its not a 350. Are you just talking about BJ v KP?

IMO, you cant dove the front and make it look good unless you lose the heater blower. IF you dont lose the blower, you cant start the dove until about mid fender, and it just doesnt look good.

run the leaves I mentioned. A few of my buddies are running the 52" chevies in the front, and it way outflexes my coils. Granted, Im not running any "superflex" style coil, just fabtechs, but the leaves are stupid simple, cheap, and you still have room to push the axle forward.

thanks for the comments re: bronco

#13 ·
the shortest you are going to be able to shorten it to is 133" . maybe a little shorter if you cut the back of the cab.

i run the rears up front with a shack rev. and a couple extra leaves. and three link in the rear on 1/2 ton front dodge coils. but that geting pulled in favor of 64" chevys. (i still need to tow the dirt bikes)

btw nice score!!!!!

#15 ·
Ten_Bucks: Thanks. I would use this for my sled puller but I have other plans for that down the road.

DRKelly: the bed is in bad shape I just assume get rid of it and make a flat bed. I like the idea of a bed cage tied in to the main cage. half doors may work though would make it tuff on the kids when it gets cold. I think I am gonna lincoln lock the rear and not sure about the front. I will rear gear to 4.88's or 5.13's.

Plug Ugly: I have both:D BJ is under the truck KP is in the back yard. I will run the leaves for sure. Will be much easier. If I do dove the front I will ditch the heater box but I doubt the wife will like wheelin in the winter with no heater. Got to keep her happy:shaking:

Plug and Super I would love to see any more pics you have of your rigs or even take a look in person. If you would not mind.
Keep the ideas coming. TIA

Will

#16 ·
i would link one end or the other for sure, it would make it easier to shorten the back if u link it. just cut out cab corners like partial wheel wells, u would have to shape the rear doors to contour the wheel wells too.

#18 · (Edited)
I had a whole long post written up and accidentally erased it. Damn back button. It was mostly refrencing Andy, but I was talking to him on the phone, and he will post up.

some info on leaf stuff, mostly about SAS tho
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24977

scotts info who did the chevy stuff first as far as I remember
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30198&highlight=chevy+leaf+springs

If you want more pf my [pics, click on the sig line. My shit is currently in a disassembled state, as I got rid of the 40" MTR's, dove tailed it, re did the cage, and lost the old bumpers, but there is lots of pics of various things, of which most are related since the vintage of our rigs is enarly identical.

What are you doing with the bed? If you are gonna scrap it, I would be very interested in the inner wheel wells, tail lights and outer fender skins.

#19 ·
Keep a low lift, and run some 40-42" tires. Hack the front fenders, bob and dovetail the ass end. run the shit out of it, and when you roll it, send me your drivetrain. :D

if you really wanna get stupid, exo it and find yourself a blower.

#20 ·
Nevermind that lasts post, i just saw your location. Ill drive you mine, with my spare tires trade you keys and call it good. :D

#22 ·
i like the idea for this truck, i almost picked up a crew cab a while back to tackle something like this, but was too much work at the time. like plug said, i'm running 52" chevy leafs in front and they work great. it took a little trial and error before i found something i was happy with but i like my current setup. i'm running a pack that originally had 6 leafs and an overload. i took the bottom most leaf out and now its 5 + overload. flexes pretty good for what it is

right now i've got stock bronco springs with longer shackles and a flip kit. i like the setup, but really need a traction bar and to do some other tuning in back before i really like how its dialed.

i'm also starting my search for deaver pre-run style packs, as they make bolt ins for both applications. i think with long travel leaf springs my setup would perform significantly better all around.

if i were you, i would move the rear tire as far forward as you can and just run it. i'd ditch the 350 leaves all around, theres no way you're gonna get any flex or enjoyable ride out of them. f150 250 springs should bolt right in, personally i would go with the softer 150 springs. you could flip them around and run the short end behind the axle and it would make your departure angle much better.

in front i say move the shackle behind the axle, get some 52" chevy springs and call it good. if you want, PM and i can go into more detail as to what alls involved. when i swapped in the solid axle to my bronco, i basically copied an f350 setup and used OEM brackets plus a custom crossmember to get the shackle reversal.

removing the bed will go a long way, as well as solid bumpers. you are really going to want burly sliders, with a truck that long you will just be able to slide it up everything. i wouldn't worry about narrowing the front, i don't hit it that much and you can't really make the visibility that much better. i dovetailed the rear on mine and love it tho. also keep the heater, you will want it especially with 1/2 doors. it gets really really cold in there in the winter. lockers and 38.5s will be ok, but you're really gonna want 40+ with those boat anchor axles.

#28 ·
Sorry for the highjack, Jacko, could u post a few shots of your tube work in the rear. I am about to start to reconstruct my rig, mainly suspension, but shooting for the same look that u have( with slightly larger tires and axles than yours) I am going to pull the bed an move the rear forward also.

#30 ·
Supervert: That is badass. I dig the front bumper. The bed is cool though I think a small flat bed will be easier. Did you scab two cabs together??

Plug: Thanks for the links. Now I just have to track down some springs. I know the 63's come off 88-98 Cheby 1/2 tons but what about the 52's?? I have gone through just about all the pics you have.

SVT: I already have a 95 F150 351w, ZF5, dana 44, Sterling 10.25 on 35's:D and I need the extra room for the two little ones.

Ten: I am thinking about settin up a get together real soon. maybe a little BBQ at my house over Mem weekend?? I am the club president and all:grinpimp:

Zain: My uncle traded two old non running 50's era F100/F150 for it. I wanted it and he said I could have it as long as I worked on his PSD when he needed. Now he sold his PSD and I have the truck. One free truck for me:flipoff2:

Jacko: More pics of the bed would be great! Aint that a PSD?? You posted pics on TDS before??

I just got a WARN 9500 winch today:flipoff2: though I think I may need a bigger one for the front.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. keep em coming

Will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.