Pirate 4x4 banner

Mustang 5.0 Swap

712 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  srscout 
#1 ·
Hey All
I aquired an 86 F-250 4X4 with a 5.0\NP-435\208 set up. The 5.0 is EFI and isnt up to much. Checking around I see that the Mustang 5.0's had a higher HP and torque ratings. The trucks only got 82,000 on it and is in great shape.
So here is the question. Should I round up a 5.0 from a Mustang (which year is best to look for), swap heads etc. from the Mustang motor (and whatever else is needed) and keep the truck short block or go another direction?
I'm not looking for a screamer, just a little more power when I'm pulling the crawler, fourwheeler's etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
the mustang heads are the same as truck heads, cam is different, wiring is different, firing order also(if im not mistaken) is different, as well as the intake. so other than the shortblock and heads, the mustang is a different motor.

id leave it as is unless your willing to throw 3g into it, its not worth it in my opinion to swap in a stock mustang motor

#4 ·
I would leave it alone. Your not going to pick up much power with a mustang intake and cam. In fact you'll probably lose torque because that's what your truck intake is set up for. If your in search of some more pulling power, the cheapest and easiest thing to do is slap some aftermarket heads on it. Add a cam designed for torque and you'll be in business. Also a set of headers to let all that extra air out won't hurt either. Long tubes are best but shorty's will do. You have the room in the truck go long tubes. :homer:

#5 ·
Oh yeah, and now if cash allows go buy an aftermarket, upper and lower intake for a 302. If you buy a mustang one you will have to convert all your ir pipes to a mustang set up. This will include your MAF. SO... buy an After market intake for the truck's 302 instead. Maybe look into a lightning intake??not sure on that though. The possibility's are endless!!!!:eek: :confused: !!!!! All depend son cash flow though.

#6 ·
stock for stock, the mustang motor has better pistons, better heads, and a better cam(a roller one at that) thats where the power difference comes from. IMHO, the truck intake is a better design though. I'd probably swap in the stang long block, with your existing efi, and some good exhuast.

That, or a 351W

#7 ·
Thanks for the ideas. If I was to go aftermarket on the heads and intake, what would I want to look for? I have already ordered in an MDS ignition (wires, coil and cap\rotor) and have been looking at exhaust systems ( not sure if I should go 2 1\2" or 3") and I have gone to the K&N filter in the stock airbox (is the something better?)

I know it's just a 5.0 but it runs great and gets pretty good mileage. If I did look at the 351W option (I would want to have EFI) what year would I need and what else besides the engine would be needed?

Thanks again for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.