Pirate 4x4 banner

1977 F150 4x4 axle ID Please

15K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Red Chevy 
#1 ·
I have been searching for some good axles to put under my 97 jeep wrangler, and I came across a 1977 F150. The front axle is obviously a dana 44 or 60 with locking hubs, I figure most likely a 44, but I cant find the stamp on it, and the rear axle looks like a Ford 8.8 bolt pattern, but I didn't think they put that in that year model. Also, what kind of transfer case might it have. The guy has offered me the whole truck minus the engine and wheels for $500 dollars, is that a good deal? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rodney

#3 ·
Front 44 and the rear could very well be a swapped in 8.8 but factory was 9" Mine is/was a 77 F150. The tranny was a 4 speed NP435 manual and the T-case is the NP 205.

If this truck you are looking at is auto, then it probably has the 203 T-case.

#5 · (Edited)
If everything is the same as it came from the factory, It is a Dana 44 front and a 9" rear. Since it has locking hubs, it will be a 205. and the odds are the axles are a 3.54 ratio.
The front will be hard to adapt under your jeep (note: I didn't say impossible) due to the radius arm mounts. Some of the mounts are a part of the axle and others were welded on.
The rear would be an easy fit. The transfer case, although probably the strongest, is pretty large and would be hard to get under your jeep. (note: I didn't say impossible)
500 bucks is a pretty good price because the 9" rears are getting harder to find, and are still a desireable rear.

#6 ·
Being '77, the front should have the removeable wedges so this would be easily washed off with a torch. That is what I did with the last '77 I got my hands on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.