Pirate 4x4 banner

460 to SM465?

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jrod-13 
#1 ·
I've been doing some looking around and after having a 460/SM465 setup before, I want to put one in my new rig. My question is this:

What bellhousing, clutch, and flywheel do I use? The last rig that had this combo already had everything in it and it used a Lakewood bellhousing but I'm not sure on the rest of the stuff.

So after doing some looking on Summit Racing it looks like McLeods is the only place that has a 460 BBF to SM465 GM Tranny bellhousing. Well if I go with this bellhousing what clutch/flywheel do I use?

#3 ·
To be quite honest, I think you may just need to drill a couple holes in the Ford bell, open up the hole for the input bearing retainer from 4.85 to 5 1/8", and run a Chevy disc. Input shaft legnth is the same, and if memory serves, the top 2 boltholes are within 1/4", so, some minor filing and you'll be good to go.
You may be able to machine down the O/D of the bearing retainer to fit a Ford bell... Been a while... I know it can be done... I'll find out soon enough, going to pick up a cheap GM 4500 here soon...

#5 ·
what the hell kinda HD bellhousing do you need?? just put a stock ford one on there.. get a old one if you want a mechanical clutch, or a newer one if you want hydro... Or better yet, a ZF.

435/205's are pretty easy to come by, especialy with a big block bellhousing..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.