Pirate 4x4 banner

ford cummins

913 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  FF3PM 
#1 ·
dose anyone know of any build ups with a cummins put into a late f150 from 97-02. i am putting a new motor in my 98 and considering this as a option. thanks for the info if you have any.

#4 ·
With enough money and will anything is possible. Some of the hurdles I can think of with the 6bt are the engine compartment might be too short, the larger 3/4 and 1 ton body style are just barely long enough. The frame and front suspension are not as strong as one would like considering the weight of the engine (#1000) and the torque.

#5 ·
it would be easier to buy a F650 and put a small front clip on it. all of our tow trucks come F650s with a cummins and an allison tranny...:D

#10 ·
Sounds like a great swap, if you can find a 3cyl aluminum cummins:D I doubt you would have room for it without a sas, and alot of lift, as well as pulling the drivetrain back, probably requiring extensive trans tunnel mods, just to make it fit. To make it last you'll need 3/4ton or better axles, springs, steering, and lots of frame beefing. If you do it, post pictures:)

#12 ·
Yes Fordcummins offers swap parts and services BUT the diesels are all in 3/4 and 1 tom trucks not a 1/2 ton and his body style F150 has a very small engine compartment compared to the 3/4 and 1 ton bodies. He would be better off trying to fit a 6bt into any of the pre 91 style F150's because they all had larger engine compartments than what he is using. Not to mention the stress on the poor 1/2 ton chassis and suspension. What about using a 4bt instead, it weighs about #300 lighter than a 6bt or about the same as a big block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.