Pirate 4x4 banner

'77 f-150 steering box?

930 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Red Chevy 
#1 ·
Is this box a reverse turning box compared to my '93 chevy box? I thought that it was cause the pitman arm was facing forward. The reason I am asking, I am moving my rockwell forward about 12" from stock on my '93 chevy and would like to mount this ford box on the outside of my frame and steer the rockwell from the backside with the pitman arm turned to the back. Does this make since or am I on the wrong road. Thanks for the help.

#3 · (Edited)
The box is not reverse steer. The change from front to rear steer is accomplished by the the pitman arm position being 180'ed from each application. more specifically... if you turn the steering wheel clockwise, the sector shaft if viewed from the pitman arm end would turn counter clockwise.

#4 ·
The box that I have when it was mounted on the truck, the pitman arm was mounted in a forward facing position. Turn the steering wheel left, pitman arm goes left, tires go left. Now if the arm would have been facing the rear like most other truck boxes, turning the steering wheel left would have given me a pitman arm moving to the right, causing the tires to turn right. So, if I am thinking this through correctly, I should be able to mount this box on my frame with the pitman arm facing rearward, crossover steering to the passenger side with the steering arm mounted to the knuckle facing the rear. This would give me correct steering with the reverse rotation box. Sorry to drag this out, just trying to get it clear in my head. Anyones input welcome:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.