Pirate 4x4 banner

newbie question

719 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  svt150j49 
#1 ·
newbie question here, but is it safe to powerwash the mud of my engine? any sensors or wiring i should watch out for. i figure it should be safe since it had no problem having tons of mud/water shot up there the other day

#2 ·
I always find that keeping the mud on my engine helps hold the parts together and stops all the leaks! :) Seriously, don't spray water on any of your electrical parts/battery or you will ask for corrosion problems later on. Check into steam cleaning options.

#3 ·
Water being sprayed on your battery is not going to make it corrode. :shaking:
Lord knows I have powerwashed and steamcleaned the engine umpteen times without any issues EXCEPT my distributor didn't like the time I forgot to cover it up.:flipoff2:

#5 ·
1. Ensure your engine is cold.
2. Spray the crud off with water only.
3. Spray the fuck outta it with any degreasing liquid you can find. I prefer a mixture of degreasers, purple power, bleech white, etc.
4. Drink a beer.
5. Rinse
6. Start engine and turn on every electrical component you have. Stereo, A/C, lights, brights, hazards, etc.
7. If you have an electric fan, turn that on too.
8. Once you confirm it is ok, go for a long dry, drive to dry excess water.

I find that turning everything on helps eliminate any condensation as everything heats up.

#6 · (Edited)
ive never had a problem washing my motor, i have to do it about every time i go to the carwash since i was probably mudding. Just dont spray too long at the electrical stuff and you should be fine. I have EFI too, theres a huge wiring harness hanging over my motor, a very stupid place for it but most the connections on cars are water tight, and it doesnt hurt to get wires wet.

#7 ·
alright thanks guys...just didnt want to F*CK my stuff up.

also anyone know why once in a while in a heavy rain the truck wont start after driving it? mainly if it goes through a few puddles. i've narrowed it down to the distributor but i'm not sure, cause it still cranks over, just wont start.

#10 ·
it will be fine, watch the dissy, and intake and wash the crap out of it. OR find a lake. thats what i do...:D ive had water up to the air filter on my truck and came out with only wet feet. dont trip on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.