Pirate 4x4 banner

what manual trans for ford 302

2K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  ryansbronco 
#1 ·
which manual trans should i go with for my newly aquired ford v8 302? im lost with which one to find for a 4x4 jeep project any help would be apreciated thanks

#6 ·
ZF's are nice.. but hard to come by for cheap... I paid $275 for my small block one(came wrapped in a 88' LD f-250) drove the truck for a year, and then sold it for $400 to someone who ONLY wanted the tranny..

it really comes down to what axles you want to run.. if its passanger drop, a T-18 works really nice, because some some creativity you can put a jeep 20 or 18 on the back pretty easy.. I helped my buddy put a T-18/spicer18 combo together for his CJ-5 a few years ago, works really nice(other than the spicer18 doesn't like the 351W infront of it)

#7 · (Edited)
Just curious, I spotted a ford tranny today, can anyone identify it for me. It has a PTO cover on the driver side and is a Borg Warner.

Attachments

#10 ·
Depends on how much you want to spend. I had a NV4500 in my EB and really enjoyed it for driving it around town and to the trail. Now I have a NP435, pick-n-pull, for $55. It has a real low gear and have heard it is very strong.

just my .03....

#13 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I also have the np208 that came with it. I should probably be able to find an adapter to mate the tranny (which ever one i get) to the t/c.. unfortunally the t/c has a slip yoke on it so im hoping to find some upgrades for it. If I cant i think ill try to use my 231 which i can upgrade. thanks -

#27 · (Edited)
Mike, you sure your 88 has a 19? Ford only put them in 460/diesel apps...
And the good ones with 5.11 or 6.32:1 are hard to find... I have one of each, and the 6.32 one howls like a bitch, but, I'm pretty sure it was run dry, truck was rolled and driven back 50 miles to town...
Even as whiny as it is, it shifts way the hell better than any of the NP435s I've owned ever did...

#31 ·
the 435 will not bolt directly to the EB dana 20
you need to find a 2wd NP435 remove the tail end
get your adapter from AA or tomsbroncoparts.com
toms will give you core credit if you have the 3 speed adapter

the NP435 came with a NP205 mabey some others
I have never found a blown 435 on the trails yet

GO ZF if you have the cash beter Daily Driver arriund town option
my 2cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.