Pirate 4x4 banner

Propane ?s

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mj 
#1 ·
Any of you guys running propane on your rigs? I have a carberated 351 and im thinking of makin the switch. Any suggestions/advice?

#2 ·
I converted to propane a couple years ago and it is the only way I will run. No electronics or computers to fry going through the water crossings. Truely a very simple system, only two moving diaphrams. I have seen better gas milage and a lot better performance on the trail. Less RPMs and no cutting out, even when I am upside down.

#3 ·
after the basic install

buy a rebuilt distributor

install the lightest advance springs from the Crane adjustable vacuum advance kit
tune it to bring the total advance on around 3000rpm (I am still playing with it to see if even lower is better but the gains bringing it from 3700 down to 3000 were impressive)
- you assemble it, map the curve, then open it up to bend in the tab that locates the spring through the cut out inthe cover plate until you get it down to the number you are after

I am at base 8° and a 13 base limit plate which gives me 26° mechanical. so 33° total in by 3000rpm. and still playing.
using a suspect manifold vacuum source (either my vacuum gauge finally died or the source is restricted) for vac advance

a wideband is cool for tuning too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.