Pirate 4x4 banner

How to tell a 77 EB chassis

822 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  blazinchuck 
#1 ·
I'm looking at an EB rolling chassis that is supposed to be a 1977. It's a frame, 3 speed manual trans, transfer, drive shafts and 9" and front D44 w/disc brakes.

Is there a way to confirm this is actually a 77? He claims 77 is the only year that got disc brakes. I read 77 got a "heavy duty" 9", but I'm not sure how verify the difference.

any solid way of telling?

thanks
Eric

#2 ·
The Vin, it'll be on the right front of the frame. Other than that it'll be next to impossible to tell the difference between a 76 and 77. Both came available with Disc's. Both had an inverted Y steering set up. A heavy 9 will be difficult to tell, but it flares slightly at the end of the axle tubes to support larger bearings.

#5 ·
Was 77 the only year of the heavy duty 9", and is it any significant worth over an older 9".

What would you think this chassis is worth?

thanks
Eric
1977 was the first year of the broad, fishmouth 9" housing, but both the 76-77 housings were 80mm big-bearing, as were many of the earlier ones. The only advantage is the slightly stronger housing and slightly larger drum brakes.

IIRC, there are some subtle differences where the gas tank skid plate mounts to the frame, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you what it is considering I only have a '77 to look at. Both the 76-77 have an OE drop bracket for the track bar mount. That would at least help you rule out an earlier frame.

Oh...and don't believe a word the seller tells you if he says that the only year EB to get discs was '77. A truer statement is that all 1977 EB's got power disc brakes.

Worth depends on the condition of the components, frame, etc. and how bad you want it. You might check out the classifieds on the EB specific forums as well. Maybe post a "Wanted to Buy" ad for your area. You never know, someone might have a roller parts rig that they bought for the tub or other rust prone components.

#6 ·
bronco

thanks. I'm going to try and get some pictures emailed before I drive 4 hours. I'll have him look for the VIN, too. Is there a site that will x-reference the VIN to tell the year, or maybe a digit to look at?

He's as asking 800, and is claiming great condition. 3.55 gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.