Pirate 4x4 banner

drive shaft's

942 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  4x4junkie 
#1 ·
so i am almost done with my build, and its time to get the drive shafts in. i no very little about driveshafts and there joints. i would like to build my own,
i have heard of people making jigs to plum the drive shafts when they weld????.

so here's what i got to make drive shafts for, dana 60 front and rear not sure what size the yokes are, they used to be on my EB with a D20, and the transfer case and the 60's have the same size u joints, (if that helps). the tcase is a fixed yoke bw1356 out of a 87 bronco. i have the drive shafts that were on the EB but not the 87 bronco, the front looks to be fine length wise but the rear will have to be made longer because my wheel base 112" not 94" anymore.

so i guess what i need to know is what yoke is one a bw1356 front output. and who makes the adapter to go from the D20 ujoint to the flang on the rear output of the BW case.

thanks for your help,

#2 ·
go to a good parts store, like napa or something, and tell em what you have. they should be able to lookup a bastard joint with 2 different size caps on it if you need one. if this thing is gonna be street driven you may want to reconsider building a rear shaft...they are hard to get straight. theres a writeup on here about shortening shafts, but lenghtening gets a little more involved

#6 ·
put it all together(tack welded that is) install it in the rig, and set a dial indicator up so its touching the shaft. turn a tire, and watch the dial, when you find the high spot in the shaft tap it with a hammer, repeat until you get a satisfactory amount of runout (for some reason 10 thousandeths or less is sticking out in my head) once your happy, put a little more weld on it, check it once more, then weld all the way around it evenly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.