Pirate 4x4 banner

AWD explorer and a locker in the rear?

6K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  ranger4.0 
#1 ·
My room mate is looking to trade his big gay truck for a '97 exploder but the catch is the expolorer is all wheel drive.. I dont know jack about the awd system in these things but he wants to tow his toy truggy with it once in a while and be able to take it camping and not get stuck. Can you put a locker in the rear of this truck without and wierd binding or other fuckedupness? Sorry for the newb question but Ive never even seen one of these things so I dont know how they work.:confused:

#6 ·
not saying it can't tow it, but just because a vehicle is rated to to xxx amount, doesn't mean it can do so easily. aka...lots of downshifting, major tranny heat issues etc.

...not bashing, just saying. shit, i say do it, but be wary

#14 ·
the 5.0 has a full time AWD... not that electromagnetic bullchit the 4.0's come with.

the explorer also has very soft springs, so towing will make its ass drag the ground.... and explorer are the dodge in the Ford family and are already notorious for bad trannies. that was mainly the a4ld on the 1st gen explorers though. the 5r55e seems to have a good rep. mine is still ticking at 150k. i have no idea what the 5.0 has for a tranny though. get some overloads or airbags and a second/aftermarket tranny cooler and i think towing would be fine for short trips occasionally as long as you arent in the mountains.

#10 ·
Yeah, I remember a couple of years back, I was online at Uhaul reserving a tow dolly for a cross country move, and it asked what the tow vehicle was, and Explorer was a vehicle that Uhaul DIDN'T recommend for towing.:D

I wonder why....

#11 ·
because of stupid people that like to sue.. thats why..

U-joke won't rent anything to an explorer.. but yet, a mazda navajo, or a merc. mountanier are just fine..

#16 ·
First off, the locker will be fine it will act like any other vehicle on the road with a rear locker.

Second, you will be fine towing your yota. You will NOT smoke the tranny in 30 minutes (4R70W in the 5 liter) of course make sure you stay out of OD.

Third, it will NOT squat the rear end down on the bumpstops unless you have the trailer loaded stupid. Load it just like towing with anything else.

Fourth, you will NOT flip, rollover, or catch on fire unless you're trying to do so. Ignore Uhaul, they simply did not want to get in the middle of the Firestone/Ford fiasco.

Ive towed a bajillion miles with a V8 Explorer and i promise it will tow your toy safely. Make sure your trailer brakes work and a weight distribution hitch will make things really nice.

#20 ·
Big ass tranny cooler.... stay out of OD. That is all...

#22 ·
or maybe hes a little harder on his shit? and your tranny "only slipping when cold" isnt right either. so dont be bashin man. a correctly built tranny shouldnt make a diffrence on heat unless its melting, and if it is - it then has a cooling problem.

and as for the towing, people often forget the trailer weight that u-hoe factors in... you have to think of the truck loaded, plus loaded trailer, and a full truck that is towing it. they do it for liability issues.

and as it was said before, go with it. it will do it, just take her easy...:homer:

#23 · (Edited)
God you guys are some fawkin morons sometimes.. I SAID I WANNA KNOW ABOUT THE LOCKER. I know how to equip a vehicle for towing and I know what drivetrain is in the slpoder and Ive also swapped 4 A4LDs in my room mates old trail rig.. They suck. Yes. A 1st gen exploder. 45ACP thanks! I just wanted to make sure the locker wouldnt bind anything in the case or elsewhere because I just dont know how that AWD shit works. :flipoff2:

#24 ·
the rear acts the same as the factory non AWD trucks. its the front that changes. its going to corner poorly, other than that run it...

#26 ·
no, it doesn't

Your confusing the BW 4404 with the 4405.

the 4404 is a plantery drive case, tranny input drives the carrier, front diff is hooked to the sun gear, and the rear output is hooked to the ring gear.

Think of it as a NP 203, that only has "hi" position.

#28 ·
i didnt mean the front diff was the only diffrent part. what i meant was:think of it as a standard truck when looking at the rear axle - correct? obviously the transfercase is diffrent, but the rear of the truck would perform like any other truck with a locker, no?

but, ive never owned one. so if im wrong, slap me, call me a noob, and put me back in the corner...:homer:

#30 ·
AWD works the same as any 4WD vehicle at the axles - my SUBI is AWD and has a LS in the rear and in the front - it drives fine - only in a parking lot you can feel more resistance wheen turning - put a 205 in it :flipoff2: -

#31 ·
Don't really post on here much, but in trolling around, I found this thread. Thought I would add to what 45ACP said.

First, the issue with smoking trannies (in general) has to do with the v6 auto trannies, specifically the 4r55e and the newer 5r55e. In addition, the real killers are the '90-'94 Explorer's which seemed to have trannies go every 90k or so (with "normal" driving).

As 45acp said, the V8 AWD Explorer's come with a full-time mechanical AWD unit (BW 4404). The only electrics coming in or out of this thing are for the Speed Sensor (at least in '96 and '97). It uses a viscous fluid and clutch pack (similar to a limited slip differential) to control power to the front and rear.

From the factory, these units are designed to give 70% power to the rear and 30% to the front. If there is significant difference in speed between the front and the rear, it will heat up the fluid and lock the transfer case until it reaches a 50/50 split. This is very nice because it doesn't have to "Clunk" when going into gear. The downside is, there is NOT a solid shaft between the input and rear output. Some will tell you there is, this is FALSE. In addition, the 4404's viscous coupler is known to start showing fatigue later in life. This can be anywhere from 70k to 120k+ depending on driving style and regularity of tire rotations, balances, etc.

Also, from the factory, the V8 AWD Explorer has a tow capacity of 7700 lbs. Would I personally tow this much with mine? Never. But I have towed 3-5k in totally stock form with it, even in the San Francisco City hills (45+ degree angles on stoplights) without a single problem. The V8 trannies are the same as were used in the early F-150 and F-250 trucks (A4LD/4R70(w)). You will likely kill your T-Case and engine well before you kill the transmission. In addition, ford included an axillary tranny cooler from the factory on the V8's.

I personally would not run a locker in the AWD system because this would put additional strain on the AWD T-Case in my opinion, but would suggest a Limited Slip rear differential (many of the AWD's came with LS in the rear). I can also attest that 31" tires will fit stock. I'm running 31x10.5R15's BFG KO's on the stock 15" rims and I get NO rubbing whatsoever. I have no problem driving in rain/mud/sand etc... either with the AWD T-Case installed.

As for U-Haul, that all came about as was mentioned due to the rollovers and poor trannies. Basically, there were a series of lawsuits of guys with Explorer's who towed what Ford said they could and fried their trannies. These people then sued U-Haul so U-Haul said "no no" to Explorer's altogether. I regularly have towed my friends 12" lifted 4-Runner with my Explorer both on a toe dolly as well as a 2-axle transport trailer and have had no problems. I would definitely suggest trailer brakes if you will be hitting a lot of hills because it does tax the Explorer's stock brakes, but giving yourself 5 - 10 car lengths at freeway speeds has always been more than enough for me.

Good luck, and enjoy.

#33 ·
well i learned something new today. :D i was wrong about the tcase.

#35 ·
I have a 2000 AWD V8 Explorer and I tow a 3,000 lb camper with it like there's nothing there. Never had any problems towing anything. I installed a class III hitch and it has worked out great. The only two things I regret about my Explorer is that Ford didn't add selectable low range to the AWD system and that I went with mud terrains rather than all terrains. Overall I love the explorer though. I actually bought it mainly to tow my wheeling rig and drive around town. I do some light wheeling in it also. It's a great little truck based SUV.

#36 ·
So, you joined PBB so you could bump a 7.5 year old thread to tell us how awesome your old Explorer is at towing your little camper?

Well hot damn, you're just in time for Tuesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.