Pirate 4x4 banner

i've searched and searched....cummins swap stuff

878 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mustangsvo85 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so there are many companies out there that can make it possible for me to throw a 6bt into my 76 f250 4x4. My next questions are in retaining the 4x4 feature.

I am not really a 4x4 guru, I am more into 2wd trucks but lately i've wanted the capabilities of a 4x4. I blew my 390 and now I am thinking cummins for cool factor and gas mileage.

Now, I think I have a np205 transfer case, I could be wrong. I do have a 4 speed with the grannie first gear. I don't really care if I keep my stick or get an auto, there are benefits to both. What I am concerned with is getting everything lined up right so I don't need new driveshafts and stuff. I see a few options;

-use the 727 3speed auto the Cummins comes with (2wd donor truck)
-purchase a seperate ZF5 5 speed (don't have a clue as to what truck it should come from)
-purchase a seperate NV4500 (also have no clue what trucks I can pull this from)
-last resort could be get a c6 automatic
-maybe even keep my 4 speed???

I would love to keep the manual especially since 5 gears is better than 3 for gas mileage. I really just don't know what will be easier or what is the least expensive? I would like to use off the shelf parts, I am not a machinist or fabricator. I'm sure I can make a tranny crossmember out of what I got but that would be the extent of my abilities.

I also will need to know how to retain my np205 with any of these trannys and where to get the adapters necesary. THanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
I have a buddy up here with a 6bt in a 76 F-250 2wd. It will require almost a complete rebuild of the firewall and trans tunnel as this is a huge engine. It was in a Suburban before with a 1.5 ton Ford tranny and an np205, in the F-250 it sits in front of an nv4500 which is what it sounds like you want. Modify the shaft for your divorced 205 and you can use your stock t-case with a 2wd tranny, you will have to make the hydraulic clutch work though in place of the factory linkage. It is a pretty involved swap but if your are very mechanically inclined and have acces to a good welder it is definately possible.

http://www.fordcummins.com/

#5 ·
Ther are a number of people on the cummins or Dodge forums that have done this, Personaly I have a 72 F35O 4x4 with a 365 ci Perkins turbo intercooled with a G360 getrag 2wd and A np205 devorced, the engine bay and firewall in mine is the same as your 76. The Perkins is actually a little bigger than the Cummins and it fits with out trimming the firewall, you will probally have to use an electric fan.
As has been stated it is a lot of work.
Good luck
Jim

#6 ·
Hey where you out in Idaho R J B? They had to rebuild the firewall because the motor was set back a ways so everything would fit. the Dodge radiator and intercooler along with the bigger turbo piping and such.

#7 ·
ive called fordcummins and talked to many who hav swapped a cummins into any f 250350 between 67-07 and they don't cut the firewall at all. The earlier ones need to cut the front crossmember about 2 inches to clear the oil pan but even the newer ones don't need to.

I just need to worry about drivetrain stuff, I dont know anything about the transfer case adapters and transmissions available to do the motor swap with. IT looks like I should be better off finding a c6 4x4 trans and transfercase already married from a truck that is like mine and just buy a c6 adapter and hope the motor mounts don't make me have to move my trany at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.