Pirate 4x4 banner

3.8l EFI convert into EB???

698 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mondtster 
#1 ·
I have a 66 EB that came with a V8 and the 3 speed column shifter. I want to keep the tranny but want to go EFI and with gas like it is, go get something like the 3.8l v6s. My question is what will mate with my stock 3 speed tranny? Do I need stay v8?

Thanks

#3 ·
I want to keep the column shift and 3 speed tranny, that is a requirement. I like the fact I could probably leave the keys in it and laugh as some young'en tries to drive off by shifting the TC.

What I had thought of doing was using the 3.8l out of a T-bird. I am trying to up the mileage as I would like to drive this a lot and these gas prices are high. My 74 with an auto and got less than 10 mpg. It seems I can get a SC T-Bird 1989-1995 and they usually came with sticks. The engine is what my goal is, the fact that it is a stick is a bonus as I *think* I will need very little.

What are your thoughts?

#4 ·
Sorry, I totally missed the fact that you wanted to keep the manual in your first post.

I'm not real sure what you would need to do for a flywheel, etc. Hopefully someone else with a little more 3.8L experience can chime in here. I'm interested to see what works too.

#5 ·
The 3.8 SC motor would be a cool transplant, but a 5.0 H.O. would be a much easier(and more cookie cuter) swap, and probably get better mileage to boot.. Power is about the same on both, stock.

#8 ·
I'm really confused by your statement here. The way I read it is that even though the 5.0L HO motor may get better fuel mileage you want to do a 3.8L swap.

I agree with the other guys who have said that you probably won't get the mileage that you are looking for out of the 3.8L primarily because a Bronco is much heavier than a Mustang or other car type vehicle that they would have come out of. All in all, I'm going to guess that the mileage would probably be a wash between a 5.0L and 3.8L and the 5.0L would have more power to boot.

#7 ·
I believe you will not get the fuel mileage you are wishing to receive from the 3.8 motor, because the weight of the Bronco will cause the Motor to work harder in return lowering the gas mileage. Granted it will be better then the 5.0ltr but given the cost of the swap I would not trade the power of the V8 for the extra 3 MPG you might gain...Just my 2 cents...

Rob
American Auto Salvage, Ft Worth Tx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.