Pirate 4x4 banner

EB rear link and stretch

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  SonicDonkey 
#1 ·
After finally growing tiard of spring wrap and not just wanting to build an anti wrap bar I decided it was time to link the rear of my EB. I thought about it a lot and finally decided that I would try out a triangulated upper link and long lower links. A few rules I put in place for my project were to keep the stock width axles, get at least 4" of rear stretch and be able to mod the sheet metal when done to retain clean factory like lines. Yea, I like sheet metal and since the Bronco is in need of new quarters I figured that was a good excuse to stretch it out a bit.

So I finally located all my link mounts and finished welding the links. I still have to add the double shear mount on the inside of the frame for the upper link mounts at the frame. The front frame crossmember is 2x4 x 3/16 box tube with 1/4" plates welded at each end with nuts welded to the inside of the plate for bolting it on. I thought that I would weld it on origionally but looking closer I dont think the tcase will come out with the xmember there. The control arm plates are 1/4" plate mounted on 12" centers for a bit of double triangulation. I origionally had the lower links on the outside of the frame but had way too much roll steer angle, somewere around 12 degrees. I played around with the calc a little more and decided to inboard the lower links at the frame and lower the mounting point. The 4link calc now shows 119% antisquat and 3degrees roll steer angle.

Now its time for springs and shocks and get this thing back on the ground. I will be adding a sway bar to the front for on road stability since it will be coil all the way around and I havent decided what type of bar to use in the rear, maybe Currie front and rear??? Im also going to build a new aluminum fuel tank to accomidate for the diff cover and brackets but the tank is staying in the stock location.

Here are some pics

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Good catch, Im going to notch it out, leave about 1" of stock material there and put a centered up travel bump there. With the new fuel tank I will relocate the pump and filter.

#9 ·
Seeing how you will try and break it when tuning (hint hint) I think I will add some more material there. As for the shackle hangers and spring perch's they are totally staying there. Its for my reverse quarter lipticle half leaf sway bar mount.:flipoff2:

#11 ·
Uh yea, its hot in my garage when I get home at nite, 115 or so. I know cry me a river and get it done right. I should have some more of the components welded up by the end of the week thought.

#13 · (Edited)
It seems like the whole project has been forgoten, poor donkey! Not much progress but you will have to read up @ www.norcalbroncos.com seems to be a more attentive EB audience.:D So... The answer is yes, this pirate thread is dead

#15 ·
you dont have to join, you can just be a peeping tom:flipoff2:

J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.