Pirate 4x4 banner

351 dies and wont start for about an hour

854 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  1sicbronconut 
#1 ·
A guy i work with has been stranded a couple times this week in his 96 f250 truck with the 351 windsor engine. He can be driving along and it will die and not fire back up untill it has set for about an hour. He thought it was the fuel filter and replaced that. It done it again here at work and i checked to see if it was getting fire. it wasnt . So he buys a coil. again today it cut off on him again but started back after about 20 mins. Could it be the ignition module? he is tired of throwing parts at it and still getting stranded. Any help would be greatly appreciated. one other thing. you can take the coil wire off the dis. and ground it out. If it releases a spark we can put it back on the dis. and it will fire up. But if it doesnt spark, still no start.

#2 · (Edited)
First ignition component to replace on the older ford motors is ALWAYS the ignition module.

buy 2 of them while you are the parts store because 1/4 of the time.. the first one is dead outtah the box. :shaking: if the first one isnt dead.. throw it under your seat for when it does die.

POS F'n ignition modules.

#6 ·
shouldn't a 96' have the TFI relocated onto the fender? making it less likely to go out? either way, I'd still bet that is the problem, however, usualy when they go, they just plain old die, and don't start.

#7 ·
On that year I'd be more prone to look at the fuel pump before the TFI. I've been a Ford tech for almost 20 years and haven't seen very many of the remote TFI's go bad. Worn out fuel pumps will get hot and shut down and work again after they cool down. Whatever you do don't through parts at it diag the concern first, shouldn't be to hard when it shuts down again see if it has spark and fuel pressure. Does it have dual tanks? will it shut down on either fuel tank if it does have dual tanks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.