Pirate 4x4 banner

460 in a 77 Highboy

11K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Proeliator 
#1 ·
Well the 351M went south on me so I put in a 400. Not enough power so I am looking at putting in a 460. I found one out of a 69 Lincoln Cont.this one is the high compression motor. What changes or mods will I have to do to get it to bolt up to my 77 Ford Highboy 4x4. ie. motor mounts, radiator, exhaust etc.

I have new exhaust on the truck now and would hate to cut it all up. Thanks in advance for any and all info. or advice.

#2 · (Edited)
Pretty much just motormounts from an FE or aftermarket like L&L. You using the tranny mounted to the 460? And yea, the exhaust won't match right up.

#3 · (Edited)
78-79 F150 460 mounts, engine brackets, frame pedestals, 85 up 460 F series oil pan with a rear sump. I think the 429/460 bellhousing pattern is the same as a 351M/400 so your C6 tranny should work if its automatic. You need to retain all the engine hardware and accessory brackets from the Lincoln so you won't have to fabricate a belt drive. A fan shroud and radiator may/may not have to be swapped out possibly. I did this swap back in the 80s on one so I can't remember everything we used. It was on a friends truck. Not mine. Good luck. :smokin:

Edit: In 78-79 a F150 2wd was available with a 460 factory so that mounts will work on 73-79 models.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. It has been awhile since I have wrenched on any vehicles. The truck has a 4 speed tranny with the divorced transfer case. Will the flywheel off of the 400 work on the 460 or will I need a different one. Since this motor is coming out of a car will I need a rear sump oil pan.

#6 ·
You'll need a flywheel. The FE (360/390) flywheel and 302 pilot bearing seems to be the best parts for this swap if you plan to use the 400 bellhousing.

You'll also want to get an exhaust manifold from a truck or van for the passenger side so it clears the frame rail.

We found the trans. output yokes to be the weak link in the divorced tcase trucks.

#10 ·
This is why I asked about the tranny, I bet the 460 in the lincoln is mated to a C-6 and if he's currently running an auto to a divorced tcase he could drop in the whole kit and kaboodle from the lincoln. All you need to do is weld up a basic bracket for the tcase lever to make the "non" 4x4 c-6s work. Hell, I've never had an actual 4x4 c-6 in any of my old "highboys", the've all been out of passenger cars. One of the advantages to the divorced setup in the 70's era f-250s.

#11 ·
Yes it is a complete stock 400. When my 351M went out I found a complete 400 with the carb and all. All I had to do was pull the old motor and put in the new. But the 400 just doesn't seem to have the same power that the 351M did. I am not going to be using the C6. I want to keep my T18 4speed with the divorced transfer. The lincoln did have the C6.

#13 ·
#18 ·
found the place was devoid of intelligence when I saw you there.

You canucks suck at teh zings.:flipoff2:

keep your thoughts off of my cheeks NAMBLA boy. Jopes is your meat.
:laughing:

He's gonna looooooove that, bwahahaha :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.