Pirate 4x4 banner

Like it Hard or Soft?

703 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Gummi Bear 
#1 ·
Early Bronco. Original Hard Top. Finally can`t handle the cracking and leaking. My problem? A new Hard Top, finished, painted, fitted, seals, windows, etc. will end up around 3G+. I could do a half cab for about half of that. I could do a Soft Top and doors for about 1500.

It is not a trail rig, so to speak. I have spent a small fortune getting this thing to a nice level of daily driveability and weekend off-road use so I want to make the right decision here. I just spent about 4G on suspension and a few other things so I don`t really want to turn around and drop another 3+ on a top. It is not a daily driver.

So, let the advice flow.

#3 ·
In winter it is nicer having a hard top. keep the heat inside.
You can always buy a good used top.
I've seen sites selling used tops before.
And you complaining about cracking and leaking with your hard top. A soft top doesn't have a long life to them either before they are cracked and leaking also. :shaking:

#4 ·
Its an EB, there will be air flowing through it in winter time hard or soft top. :flipoff2:

I really like the soft tops, especially if you're in the south. But after beating all the drip rails in on my hard top and caving it in and beating it back out with a hammer i decided that a soft top would be a waste of money. If its going to be a street queen, then id say go with a soft top.

... and $3k+ for a hardtop??? Get a nice one for $300 and slap some paint on it.

#6 ·
First off, you're getting raped on everything you touch.

With new glass, and replacing all the seals, plus a paintjob, I can't hardly see $1k in a stock hardtop.

For a soft top, there are only two that I'd consider; STC and Besttop can suck it. BC Broncos and Broncocovers.com are building FAR superior products. They're expensive at $1200-1500, decked out, but they fit nicely, complement the EB lines, don't leak, have DOT windows and don't look as stupid as the STC and Bestops with that awful B pillar bow that's 4 feet above the damn rig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.