Pirate 4x4 banner

solid axel swap on an 05 150

681 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  gfbgreaser289 
#1 ·
im looking to swap in a solid axel. IFS blows. basically i dont no where to start. i was thinking of swapping in a 44 out of a bronco or older fseries truck and run coils and radius arms. its seems like the simplest swap i can do but im at a loss on how to set up the steering. i was just hoping some one could point me in the right direction.

#2 ·
get the factory steering off the bronco axle, id go with a late 70s (78 or 79) Dana 44... if the parts are worn, buy replacement parts. buy some lift springs for the same bronco or truck. Its usually easier to find a parts truck, steal the axle, radius arms, steering, and coil buckets. good luck. its probably going to be around the same idea as swapping it into any other ford truck... problem comes when you need to clearance upward (any crossmembers that may get in the way) and also frame width. its not going to just "bolt up"

good luck and post pics.

#4 ·
I don't know if you know your way around Pirate, but here's two friendly tips that'll make it more enjoyable... 1) Searching is your friend, and 2) don't be discouraged when someone flames you, it happens (a lot, everyday). And that's why we all (or most) love PBB.

What axle is for you depends on the usage, so a 44 could fit the bill, but maybe a 60 would be a little more suited. Fabrication skills will help you tremendously. You don't have to get a parts truck, but you will probably find the SAS road to be a little more friendly than if you didn't.

Search on here tons. There is more available information than you could ever use in ten lifetimes. Another great site for SAS projects is Fullsizebroco.com, search a lot there too, even though it isn't specific to your year/make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.