Pirate 4x4 banner

tranny took a hit from a rock

848 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Poohbair 
#1 · (Edited)
I was running fordyce this weekend, and before the forst river crossing I put a rock up into my trany pan(c6), and pancaked it. As you would guess it don't work no more. I have a couple of questions.

1-should I rebuild it, or replace it?

2-if I replace it is there a good upgrade i can do, or maybe go manual?

3-while the tranny is out I was thinking of adding a doubler or maybey a new tcase, like an atlas.

'78 bronco, built 460, 36" irocs, 14 bolt rear w/detroit, dana 44 frnt w/arb, 5.38's.

#3 ·
Get a NP435 from your local pick-n-pull for $79 and then go out and get the Atlas or StaK transfercase.

The NP435 has low first gear and the 4th gear allows you to run on the highway at decent RPMs. As for the transfercase, I went with StaK because of what you get for the price. Also, enough people have run StaK to give it very good ratings.

Just my .03

#9 ·
Thats what I'm betting.. A buddy of mine flattened one on his C-6 a few years back, pickup was tight against the pan, but yet it shifted fine? :confused: noticed afterwards when it was on the trailer.. undented the pan, and new filter and fluid and it was golden.. Of course the permenent fix was a NP 435 at a later date.

#10 ·
i say fix the pan - install the new filter - put in some atf and see if it moves - a c6 around here is around 400 rebuilt ( average / nor cal )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.