Pirate 4x4 banner

ford Dana 20 strength

10K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  welndmn 
#1 ·
I am wondering the strength of a dana 20. I am running a 5.0 ho mustang engine, a c 4 transmission, dana 20 transfer case, high pinion dana 60, eaton ho72 rear axle , and 39.5 boggers in a jeep wrangler. I am wondering if the dana 20 is strong enough for this set up. I am under 4000 pounds. I really like the size of this set up, and would like to use it, but don't want the dana 20 breaking alot. If I keep it I am definetly going to upgrade the rear output shaft. Has anyone run bigger tires with the dana 20 or know the strength of this transfer case. Some day I might run 44 inch swampers. I know it is not as strong as the np 205, but is it worthy?

#2 ·
i had a customer a few years ago that had a 392 EFI stroker, c4, dana 20 , 60 front & rear 4.88 ARBs and 37 boggers - he coundnt kill it - and he was nuts - he broke a few axle shafts - but never the 20

#4 ·
my brother used to work for KbarS and they used to sand drag an early Bronco with a 500H.P boss cleveland and they were running a stock(but rebuilt)dana 20.They never had any problems with it,but they were only runnin 33 B.F.Gs

#5 ·
on 38s and now 42's.
Broke a few rear outputs, but now have the Wildhorses one.
Never a front output, but I did have it cryo'd.
The other thing I did is make a new inspection cover out of some 1.5 alum. I did this because I have seen a few cases crack in 1/2.

#8 ·
stock 302, 78/79 ford front 60, sterling rear, front and rear welded, 39.5" iroks, np435 and mine has held up great. course thats after i figured out i was running different gears in my axles and i blew up 2 cases!

i didnt wanna play russian roulette so i went ahead put in the wildhorses 300M rear output. so far so good!

-cutts-

#10 ·
Their are 2 current Rear outputs.
BC broncos sells a stock 10 spline one made from 300m.
Wildhorses sells one that AA designed. Its made from what eversteel and is 32 spline.
I liked the WH ones one because having a 32 spline output game me more choices on what yoke I wanted to run.

#12 ·
I have broken 2 rear outputs and one front. The front I bent the driveshaft really bad close to the output and it was hitting the crossmember because of the bend, so maybe that doesn't count. For the rear I carry a spare with the whole tailshaft extension housing and a bag with extra needle bearings. The output shafts break rarely enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.