Pirate 4x4 banner

Ford 2.8L V6 runs rich...

920 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Brutpwr 
#1 · (Edited)
My trucks mileage has dropped to around 15 MPG highway and smells rich. Already done all the tuneup stuff including a new oxygen sensor. Seems to run rich at all throttle settings. It will backfire if you let of the gas quickly when coming to a stop or shifting. I put a K&N air filter in and it was better for a day or two but then went back to its old ways. Is it possible the new oxygen sensor is no good as was the old one? I'm guessing now there is a bad sensor or possibly the carb which is an electronic so possibly it is stock in a rich mode setting. Choke seems to be ok. Any thing I should look at...

Thanks,
Jason :)

#2 ·
The feedback carb system blows... being that you're in cali... you're fucked. You can't do a duraspark conversion and pass smog... so diagnose... rebuild that carb. Make sure the float isn't stuck, or other things are leaking in it that are dumping the fuel in.

Duraspark conversion for reference: http://www.broncoii.org/techpages/duraspark/index.html

#4 ·
yep. Reman carbs for them are like $450... the rebuild kit alone is like $60... thus... I researched and did the duraspark swap for 1/3 of that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.