Pirate 4x4 banner

Dodge flattops/ Ford outers

958 views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  sn0border88 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, whats the deal here. I read Mr. N's page, and searched around here and everything I see is different. Some people think you can make it work, others cant, ect. The local pick n pull has a few sets of them that I have my eye on.

So, can I run dodge flattops on a ford d44 and somehow wind up with 5 on 5.5 outers. Locking hub or drive flange I don't care, its trail only.

I know they used unit bearings in some if not all models, what does it really matter for a trail only vehicle that dosent see much trail time.

#2 ·
id like to know about this too.. i know they have the flat top off the HD 44 for the drivers side... but no clue on the passenger side...

#3 ·
I am not sure about the Dodge, but the chevy knuckles just require you to use everything chevy outers. I can only assume that it is the same with Dodge. The main question is their a difference detween dodge and chevy?

just my .03 and I have had a drink or two..

#4 ·
i think he just wants flat tops, and end up with 5 on 5.5 outers. weither or not its cheby or dodge or ford...

#5 ·
Right, but the chevy knuckles are different than ford, I am not sure about dodge though. Once you change the knuckles you have to deal with everything after it. Brakes, hubs, bearings and so on...

#6 ·
dodge knuckles are totaly bastard..

get chevy/waggy knuckles, with small bearing spindles, and put ford outers on it.

#7 · (Edited)
I know all about the chevy knuckles, I know they will work but they are much harder to find around here. Thats why im wondering if dodges will work. They do have pass and drivers side flattops from factory

and by "totally bastard" you mean what exactly?

#10 ·
I know all about the chevy knuckles, I know they will work but they are much harder to find around here.
Just get a GM kunckle.
Then steel the GM small bearing spindle, and Backing plate/caliper mount.
Everything else is ford.
Use the Ford hubs, bearings, and rotor.
Go buy a new GM caliper.

For all the parts list, search around for the Early Bronco Disc brake swaps.
This is known as Chevy brakes.
Been around a long time.

Wow :shaking:

Last question, if the dodge runs 5 on 5.5 outers with a flange OR lockout do they still run the odd unit bearings like ive heard, or do they run regular wheel bearings.

#9 ·
Just get a GM kunckle.
Then steel the GM small bearing spindle, and Backing plate/caliper mount.
Everything else is ford.
Use the Ford hubs, bearings, and rotor.
Go buy a new GM caliper.

For all the parts list, search around for the Early Bronco Disc brake swaps.
This is known as Chevy brakes.
Been around a long time.

#15 ·
i had a set of dodge flat tops just the knuckles. then i bolted on all chevy stuff(spindle, caliper braket, and nuts). then put on 78 f150 hubs with drilled and slotted rotors with chevy calipers. works perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.