Pirate 4x4 banner

7.3 ZF Trans to 460 Block Questions

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  wyldstallyn73 
#1 ·
I have a ZF trans from a 7.3 diesel which has the same bolt pattern as the 460 gas motor. The only difference is the starter mounting holes, very different. Does anyone know if this swap would work if I used a 7.3 flywheel and starter? or do I need to start over with a different trans case?

#2 ·
The bolt pattern is not the same, the dowel pins are a different size and location, and there are no starter mounting holes... The starter on the 7.3 bolts to the engine adaptor plate,

#3 ·
where are you located and is it a 2 or 4wd tranny...I ask cus I have a ZF5 thats 4wd with the t-case for a 460..and would like to trade for a 7.3 tranny.:D

but yea..patterns diffrent..

#4 · (Edited)
I live in EL Campo TX, But Ill be in Laramie, WY for the next year or so. And would willingly swap you trannies, its a 4wd and I have BW 13-56. (PM me) I agree with yall on the dowl pin and starter being different but Im pretty sure the bolt pattern is the same, I will check later to be sure. A swap would make both our lives a lot better. Any how with that out the way, Im trying to build a budget doubler but both my 203 and 205 are divorced and I need a female in put for my 203 (Im gonna drill and tap the bolt holes clocked the way I want) any idea where to get one of those without purchasing an entire t-case? I have seen the short out put for the 203 sells for about $200, and I plan to just machine my own adapter somehow, I just need that input?:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.