Pirate 4x4 banner

9" axle bearing problem

982 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  cjcargo 
#1 ·
i just bought a nodular 3rd member from summitt and when i went to put the gears in i found that my carrier bearings are to small....the case i bought is for use with 31 spline axles and uses 3.062 bearing cups..but my carrier uses the smaller 2.89 bearings..with 31 spline axles. is there a certain bearing i need to buy that has the i.d. to fit my carrier but has a larger o.d. to fit the bearing cups on the new case? any help would be great thanks

#2 ·
Yes, 9's use a carrier bearing to fit the normal size housing with your lame ol' carrier.
Call Strange
http://www.strangeengineering.net/
as I don't know the part number or want to.
Unless its a locker that you married to, ditch it and get a normal carrier.
If its a stock trash-loc you can pull those all day at the junk yard, or get a open one from Strange.

#5 ·
at first i got pissed so i called summitt and asked what bearing to use and the guy on the phone had an overload....i couldnt believe that after selling so much racing stuff they couldn't just say the bore is the same just get the larger bearing...he said i should go to napa and start measuring bearings..technical support is a joke anymore..im just glad i found what i needed

#7 ·
Not to hijack, but I have a similar problem. I've got a nodular case with aftermarket steel caps and has been machined out to 3.540. It has adjuster in it already so it was machined to fit a specific bearing but I can't find anyone who has it. I already tried Strange, Moser, Mark Williams, Randy's, etc. Is my best bet just calling up a general bearing supplier or is there somebody who carries these? I also would like to stay with 31 spline axles if that's possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.