99 F150 SAS ?s - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 64023
99 F150 SAS ?s

I have been trying to search through here to find some info out about a SAS for a 1999 F150. Right now I have a 99 f150 5.4l, sterling 9.75 rear end, 4x4. I have heard that the speedo runs off a ring in the rear end, and I would like to trash the old rear since it needs a rebuild anyway. What would it take to get a dana 60 or a 9in to work so that I can keep the speedo?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 44108
You could plug the tone ring sensor right in on a Sterling 10.25"
[SIZE="4"]

[COLOR="Silver"]One Up Offroad[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkRed"] Rize Industries [/COLOR][COLOR="Silver"]Icon Vehicle Dynamics [/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]RCD[/COLOR] [COLOR="Silver"]Full-Traction[/COLOR] [COLOR="darkred"]Rubicon Express [/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]KING[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkRed"] Sway-a-Way[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"] FOX[/COLOR] [COLOR="Silver"]Dynatrac[/COLOR] [COLOR="Indigo"]Yukon Gear[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]ARB [/COLOR][COLOR="Silver"]Detroit[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

Including the largest selection of tires and wheels that you will find. Don't see what you are looking for? Give us a call.[/center]
bigreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 46117
Yep, what bigreen said. Its not worth swapping in a 60 to replace the 9.75 IMO

Last edited by Mr. Death; 07-09-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Mr. Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Coke dealer...

Member # 66780
If you go through with this project, please do a write-up with plenty of pictures. I have a '97 that I've considered turning into a toy (see bigreen's truck).

There are also SAS kits out there....

http://www.setstr8.com/ ---> 'new products' ---> F150
Old 07-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25325
Send a message via AIM to redranger4.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62FMJ View Post
If you go through with this project, please do a write-up with plenty of pictures. I have a '97 that I've considered turning into a toy (see bigreen's truck).

There are also SAS kits out there....

http://www.setstr8.com/ ---> 'new products' ---> F150
stay away from fabritechs stuff, they are not kits build to wheel, they are for show trucks.
redranger4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0 View Post
stay away from fabritechs stuff, they are not kits build to wheel, they are for show trucks.
Are you kidding me??? Who wouldn't want to wheel with this bracket hanging below their truck?!?!?

I have an 03 I would love to do a SAS on, it's all gonna be custom however so I guess it's really personal preference.
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 44108
Yeah fabritech is a bit overpriced for the level of engineering in it. I know two people that installed their leafsprung kit, and didnt even like it. Both sold the truck within 6months.

I built mine over 2 years ago and have drivin it as a daily driver since...take the time, build it yourself and youll be better off. Or at least have someone with experience build it.
[SIZE="4"]

[COLOR="Silver"]One Up Offroad[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkRed"] Rize Industries [/COLOR][COLOR="Silver"]Icon Vehicle Dynamics [/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]RCD[/COLOR] [COLOR="Silver"]Full-Traction[/COLOR] [COLOR="darkred"]Rubicon Express [/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]KING[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkRed"] Sway-a-Way[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"] FOX[/COLOR] [COLOR="Silver"]Dynatrac[/COLOR] [COLOR="Indigo"]Yukon Gear[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]ARB [/COLOR][COLOR="Silver"]Detroit[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

Including the largest selection of tires and wheels that you will find. Don't see what you are looking for? Give us a call.[/center]
Old 07-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 35163
Does the speedo really run off the rear diff? Every truck I have ever seen takes the speedo reading off the t-case or transmission output....

The reason I ask is my friend is getting ready to do the SAS on a '97 with the 4.6 and 5 speed. He already has a 14bolt and HP Dana60 for the front. I thought that the sensor on the rear axle was for ABS which we are planning on eliminating.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 44108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoland66 View Post
Does the speedo really run off the rear diff? Every truck I have ever seen takes the speedo reading off the t-case or transmission output....

The reason I ask is my friend is getting ready to do the SAS on a '97 with the 4.6 and 5 speed. He already has a 14bolt and HP Dana60 for the front. I thought that the sensor on the rear axle was for ABS which we are planning on eliminating.

97-98 i am 100% sure runs off the VSS gear in the tailshaft housing. The tone ring doesnt do squat, the abs light wont even come on with it unplugged, though i plugged mine in.

99 supposedly went to using that tone ring sensor as a speed sensoring device....but i know of a 99 expy that had a D60 in the rear, and he said he still had his speedo; i just dont know any details about that truck.

04+ uses the tone ring for speedo, im pretty certain. BlueTorch had to get pretty creative with that on fellow pirates truck not all that long ago.
[SIZE="4"]

Old 07-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 64023
Will definetly do a good write up if we get around to it. It's being a PITA all of a sudden, and it may not stay around long. I figure on duing everything myself. I mean why should I pay someone for something that I can build myself. Besides it will be ment to work not look good.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoland66 View Post

Yes it does Here is my 2003 10.5, note where the ring was just to the left of the ring gear.

It's got 5.38's on it now and am not using it so It's just removed entirely, I now have two big holes on top of my diff!!!

Last edited by HardcorewannabeXJ; 07-09-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 64023
Well I was wrong on the year as a friend is driving it and has had it for so long that I forgot. It's a 97 so that is good news. Now just to get the cash together and the parts. I plan on doing this on the cheap using as many recycled junkyard parts as possible. I will definetly take lots of pics and let ya'll know what parts and from what vehicle that I take everything from since there doesn't seem to be anything on the web that I can find relating to this. Also these trucks are getting old enought that they are cheap now and easy to come by. Since it's still in the planning phase, and won't be til this winter that I will have time. I have plenty of time to round everything up.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 84593
I picked up my 10.5 for $150, disc brakes and all Although It's rolling the supre trick metric 8 lug pattern, but since it matches the front it worked out on all fronts.

All in all my front D60 and Rear 10.5 cost me $850. (Ok so in the end it's a little bit more then that, around $3k in parts)

Can Not beat that.

Last edited by HardcorewannabeXJ; 07-09-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Coke dealer...

Member # 66780
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0 View Post
I wasn't trying to say fabritech was any good. I didn't know what his level of skill was...that kit might be something to get started on, and then modify it to his needs.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 44108
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcorewannabeXJ View Post
I picked up my 10.5 for $150, disc brakes and all Although It's rolling the supre trick metric 8 lug pattern, but since it matches the front it worked out on all fronts.

All in all my front D60 and Rear 10.5 cost me $850. (Ok so in the end it's a little bit more then that, around $3k in parts)

Can Not beat that.
yeah, i probably paid a tad high for my superduty axles ~ $800 but these brakes, and rear discs...sexay
[SIZE="4"]

Old 07-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 47730
i have a97 01 and 03. i am going to do a solid axle front on my 03. currently have rancho kit in it.i did see another company offering the kit but dont remember the name.was a nice kit. not show like fabritech.i will see if i can find it. i am doing mine from scratch. have a guy just north of me just did it on a 2000, looks real nice.and works real good too.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreen View Post
yeah, i probably paid a tad high for my superduty axles ~ $800 but these brakes, and rear discs...sexay
Considering that the 79 ford HP axles go for abour $1200 themselves and are almost 30 years old, I think the superduty axles will be becoming a more viable options. I plan on wheeling the shit outta mine so we'll see how they hold up.