cheap long travel driveshaft - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 22290
Send a message via AIM to Andy351
cheap long travel driveshaft

ever since i swapped in the 52" chevy springs i needed more driveshaft travel than i could afford. I ran a square tube driveshaft, it was about the worst decision I ever made but kept me on the trails for the last couple years. Lesson learned. After calculating how much travel I needed I began to look around for the cheapest solution possible, and didn't have much luck. even just the 2 halves of a 7.5" travel slip yoke were over $150. I was determined to find a cheaper solution. As with many other low-buck wheeling innovations, my new strategy was spawned at a pick-n-pull half off day. Its almost like a "buy one bronco driveshaft, get the second for free day."

now that i had 2 stock bronco shafts i began to scheme. each shaft is good for about 3-4" of slip, in my case i need around 7". if only i could make the 2 become one....so i fired up the new miller and hf grinder and took a stab at it.

cut the yoke off of female slip #1

slip #1, slip #2 and a piece of 2" .120 wall tube to sleeve it all

cut the male splines off shaft #1

joining the two halves together to make the longer male splines. i cut the splines off of shaft #2 right where they started. the "jig" is angle iron:toothless

before welding up the male spline section, stick the yoke on there to make sure they are properly aligned.

welded up, ready to grind down.

i drilled the sleeve tube for plug welds. 3 3/8" plug welds on either half of the new female slip yoke.

using the new male splines, i lined up the 2 halves of the female slip, making sure both keyways match up.

plug welds done.

shot of the new slip yoke assembly. i welded the sleeve tube around the edges too.

When people in the Taliban are riding around in better trucks than you, you might have a problem.
Andy351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 22290
male splines finished and ground smooth. 10" length

10" in the female end as well. this will give me a minimum spline engagement of 1.5" at full droop. (the actual splines are 3" long)

roughly 8.5" of travel

i clearanced all the yokes to allow for maximum angle capacity.

ready to be installed.

been a long time since i've seen a round shaft up there....

i'm happy with the result, time will till if it can withstand my driving. just by eyeballing it i was able to get the whole shaft to less than an 1/8" in deviation over the whole length, and its in front so balancing isn't entirely necessary. my guess is it will hold up till i can at least afford something better...

When people in the Taliban are riding around in better trucks than you, you might have a problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 37770
Send a message via AIM to 93chico4by
DOod, that is awesome. I love days like today when i get to log on here and see an idea like this. It brings a smile to my face.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Apprentice

Member # 56692
what was wrong with the square shaft? I run one and couldnt be happier, it has outlived a pinion and 2 pairs of yokes.

I guess you ran it in the rear, couldnt get it to balance?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 22290
no i ran it in the front. they don't balance, theres tons of slop, and they make lots of noise. in reality, this was actually cheaper than the square tube shaft. i really don't think i could ever kill the square tube tho, even if i tried. it was definitely burly.

if you look at the last picture i posted you can see that the ds will contact the tranny x-member as it droops (need to notch it). when the square tube came in contact with that, BOOOOM goes the u-joint. that part of having a square shaft got really old.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy351 View Post
As with many other low-buck wheeling innovations, my new strategy was spawned at a pick-n-pull half off day. Its almost like a "buy one bronco driveshaft, get the second for free day."

now that i had 2 stock bronco shafts i began to scheme. each shaft is good for about 3-4" of slip, in my case i need around 7". if only i could make the 2 become one....so i fired up the new miller and hf grinder and took a stab at it.
Andy, How has the drive shaft held up?
Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
I don't know how much Andy is around anymore, but he sold his bronco last year. From I can remember he did not blow the shaft up.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
I don't know how much Andy is around anymore, but he sold his bronco last year. From I can remember he did not blow the shaft up.
Thanks Mark
Old 05-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 1635
For anyone reading along, this is what happened to my try...
Broke first trail.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...0#post14332670