how far could I push 2005 f-250 axles? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 90125
how far could I push 2005 f-250 axles?

I have some f-250 axles (I think. Not shure cause I can't find any web site with my BOM registered BA 611356-1). How big could I put some tires on with lockers, atlas 4spd and 450hp engine?
John 3:16
ob0ne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 37866
I've seen quite a few broken on stock F350's out in the oil field. It's not the wheel speed it's that sudden stop!
1sicbronconut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
54" Boggers. But just to play it safe I wouldn't go any bigger.
'73 F250, 533 on N2o, 35spln chromo Superior/CTM D60/D70, twinsticked 205, hydro-assist, f&r lockers, 46" Titan R1s. Evil social media page link:https://www.facebook.com/black.donald.3
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 71446
Send a message via AIM to WHITE RHINO
i was thinking some 64ish ag tires
Old 05-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 53554
Well that depends on several variables, are you pushing uphill or down? How strong are you? Does said axle have wheels and tires on it? More info man, more info
Old 05-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 90125
I'm thinking about building a buggy around these axles. 44 boggers are my favorites but I don't want to spend big bucks on chromo shaft.

Project 1 would be: selling these to put $ on my actual rig.
Project 2 would be: selling my actual rig and trading one of my two ford front hi pinion dana60 for chevy passenger side front diff to make a rear mounted engine buggy with both diffs pumpkins on the same side.
Project 3 would be: selling my actual rig and building a front mounted engine with the hp dana60 and the sterling on the rear.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE RHINO View Post
i was thinking some 64ish ag tires
Don't be silly. He'd at least have to buy an after market bolt-on truss for the axle so it would handle those. Of course, then it would be tits
'73 F250, 533 on N2o, 35spln chromo Superior/CTM D60/D70, twinsticked 205, hydro-assist, f&r lockers, 46" Titan R1s. Evil social media page link:https://www.facebook.com/black.donald.3
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Axes of E-ville

Member # 48097
Anything over 52 inches and you're going to have to carry a bag full of unit bearings with you at all times....
Aces'n'8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 44108
i have plenty of fun with no breakage on 44" boggers....but i also dont rock crawl
[SIZE="4"]

[COLOR="Silver"]One Up Offroad[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkRed"] Rize Industries [/COLOR][COLOR="Silver"]Icon Vehicle Dynamics [/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]RCD[/COLOR] [COLOR="Silver"]Full-Traction[/COLOR] [COLOR="darkred"]Rubicon Express [/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]KING[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkRed"] Sway-a-Way[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"] FOX[/COLOR] [COLOR="Silver"]Dynatrac[/COLOR] [COLOR="Indigo"]Yukon Gear[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]ARB [/COLOR][COLOR="Silver"]Detroit[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

Including the largest selection of tires and wheels that you will find. Don't see what you are looking for? Give us a call.[/center]
bigreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 10063
I've heard that the '05up axles (radius arm/coil suspension) are 35-spline all the way out to the hubs, but I haven't verified it yet. If this is true, then I would agree 44" tires shouldn't be a problem if you're not real heavy, although you'll have to keep it somewhat conservative on the wheel offset (too much offset does tend to stress out the unit bearings, true).
Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 44108
35 spline is true...the bearings inside the unit bearings are also spaced slightly farther apart. Big brakes, which is nice...but stick you have to 17"s and up (and only some 17s)

stock 05 stuff on the left

[SIZE="4"]

[COLOR="Silver"]One Up Offroad[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkRed"] Rize Industries [/COLOR][COLOR="Silver"]Icon Vehicle Dynamics [/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]RCD[/COLOR] [COLOR="Silver"]Full-Traction[/COLOR] [COLOR="darkred"]Rubicon Express [/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]KING[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkRed"] Sway-a-Way[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"] FOX[/COLOR] [COLOR="Silver"]Dynatrac[/COLOR] [COLOR="Indigo"]Yukon Gear[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]ARB [/COLOR][COLOR="Silver"]Detroit[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

Including the largest selection of tires and wheels that you will find. Don't see what you are looking for? Give us a call.[/center]
Old 05-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 90125
Thanks for the pics. I've also heard of a spindle conversion kit tu use the standard type bearing.
Is it what you've got on the right side?

Last edited by ob0ne; 05-14-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 44108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob0ne View Post
Thanks for the pics. I've also heard of a spindle conversion kit tu use the standard type bearing.
Is it what you've got on the right side?

Left side is stock 05-08 unit bearing and stub shaft, right side is Solid Axle 99-04 freespin conversion. Kind of apples to oranges comparison picture...but what the hell.

Dynatrac just released their freespin conversion for the 05-08s, Solid Axle is doing research on it at the moment.

The bearings in the 05-08 axles are bigger and spaced apart further...I have only heard of one case so far of worn out unit bearings from those years (huge difference from the 99-04s). Im not being at all pro-unit bearing...but if you have a newer type axle, you may just see how the stock ones hold up, before going to dynatrac...you may be surprised. If you ever need a freespin though, let me know.

- Jesse
[SIZE="4"]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.