Superduty Swaps - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
RAC

Member # 119122
Superduty Swaps

I have an 03' F350 in working order and everything but the cab of an 04' F250. For those familiar with both I have a few questions.

Can I put the 04' F250 6.0 in the 03' F350 6.0, both with auto trannies?

Will the F350 front wheel bearings replace the F250 wheel bearings?

Can I use the driveshaft out of the F350 with the F250 auto tranny and rear end?

For those that know any thing about rockwells, what will I need in order to mate a set of 2 1/2tons to an F350 drivetrain?

Last edited by RAC; 08-27-2008 at 03:56 PM.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Alaskan Wheeler

Member # 44053
You're asking for a lot of information that has already been covered here. If you search, you'll find that right new there is a thread covering your question about wheel bearings and axle identification. Also, there is a guy who put rocks under his Superduty and has a very nice thread with lots of pics.

That being said, you can swap cabs. They are NEARLY identical. Correctly me should I make a mistake, but one of the differences is the dash board mounting and door panels. You'll find that you can use the front drive lines in either rig. The rear depends on the wheelbase. The 03 should have a D60 front, as should the 04, so wheel bearings should swap (again, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Now, go buy a star so you can search. Search for a week and read until your eyes hurt. Then search some more. You'll find some great info and a you won't make the Ford Gods mad. Good Luck
nkldrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
RAC

Member # 119122
Thnx for the info, I'm not trying to switch cabs just engines. Just tying to use the newer engine, tranny and rest of drive train(04) in the nicer cab(03) and the not so nice cab(04) with the older engine, tranny and rest of drivetrain(03). Once thats done I plan on putting the older engine up on rockwells and what ever size tractor tire over 48" I can find. With the purposes of attending any and all mudfests' from p'cola to okeechobee for the next few years that uncle sam lets me stay in the area. With the biggest questions being, are 03' and 04' 6.0 engines compatible and are 250 and 350 drivetrains compatible.
Rockwells seem to be fairly common, but if anyone can help with tractor tires around the Pensacola, Fl area or within 3-400 miles of it i'd appreciate it.

Last edited by RAC; 08-27-2008 at 07:03 PM.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Alaskan Wheeler

Member # 44053
when you swap engines, you'll have to swap the whole deal...computers, harness, ect. Different mapping with computers and fuel delivery
nkldrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 106654
Wrong direction with the engine swap. A lot of things changed from 03-05 from intake elbows, to dowels for the heads, to wiring harnesses. On top of that the 03 is the best stock turbo and the better oiling system. Some of the changes that International made for 04 trying to make it run quieter hurt the system and when they attempted to fix it again for 05' well thier still working on it. I am running 03's in my Supercrawler, 62' F250 drag truck, and I have a port and polished one waiting to go in my 84' F350 as soon as I finish the 62'. The biggest piece on the 04' is the turbo. Well if you have any other questions email me your number at info@thehouseofdiesel.com and I can get you in the right direction.

Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/House-...393079?sk=info
HouseofDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote