Good power cam for a 1993 F250 4X4 super cab 5.8? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 127991
Good power cam for a 1993 F250 4X4 super cab 5.8?

Hi All, I am new to the site and wanted to ask about which cam is good for my truck. I am planning on replacing the engine soon as it lacks power and has 130,000 miles on it! My truck now has a stock 351 5.8 (dipstick in block, so is HO?) true dual exhaust (not 1 pipe split to two), headers, 3.55 gears, preformance chip, automatic. I had the transmision rebuilt recently with a heavy duty low stall converter and other changes in the transmission to shift more "sturdy" and upgraded heavy duty parts. I plan on buying a new crate engine. Right now even driving on the interstate, it is impossible to go 65 up a slight hill without it jumping back into another gear as I have to push the gas pedal half way down! All I pull with it is a boat. I want a cam with good power for the highway, city and pulling (take off etc) and not ruin my gas mileage too much. I read about rv cams but some agree and some don't. I just want to make sure I have the best cam and most power I can get. I will use these headers on the new engine. I have heard a cam can't be so much or it will not run right because of the computer? Thanks you all for any help, ideas and opinions you may have!
Steve
steve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 126988
My daily driver is a 95 F250 4x4 SuperCab, but mine has the 460. I have been wondering the same thing but from what I hear the computer wont act right if you put in a bigger cam. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by wyazel1; 01-23-2009 at 05:39 PM.
wyazel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 126988
Sorry double post.

Last edited by wyazel1; 01-23-2009 at 05:42 PM.
wyazel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 36711
You are both right. Speed density motors don't like much cam over stock.

Headers, high flow cats, chips, hotter coil, better plug wires, bigger gap...
Burning more of the allotted fuel helps drastically when trying to up the performance... These motors run on a 26% evaporation system. Meaning a good running motor will use 74% of the fuel delivered.

You can get head work done, a mild cam, a throttle body spacer, high stall converter.... Thats about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve65
I had the transmision rebuilt recently with a heavy duty low stall converter
That's most of your problem there. That's not what I would call a torque motor.
Its doesn't have the torque to start it, and also lacks the horse power to finish it.

Good luck
Nor Cal Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
MASTER TECH

Member # 54844
the biggest choke on a 5.8 is the heads.

swapping the heads and having a tuned chip will help. a cam can help, but the SD will be maxed out with even the mildest cam.

a good rebuild, some aftermarket heads,mild cam, intake and a chip - it should push near / over 300 hp
: me fuckers

build up of the truggy
/forum/ford/544813-update-pics.html
f250rollinon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 27645
This guy has good ideas, good discussion in his build here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...e=7&highlight=

Last edited by 4XFORD; 01-23-2009 at 07:13 PM.
4XFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve65 View Post
Hi All, I am new to the site and wanted to ask about which cam is good for my truck. I am planning on replacing the engine soon as it lacks power and has 130,000 miles on it! My truck now has a stock 351 5.8 (dipstick in block, so is HO?)
The "HO" designation disappeared when EFI came around, possibly before? AFAIK only the carbed motors got an "HO" designation, and all that meant - I thought- was a Motorcraft 4bbl and different heads. Maybe someone will chime in w more accurate info.

You don't have the 351M if that is what you're thinking. You simply have an EFI 351W
Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 127991
Thank you all for the information! You all are a lot of help. Really like the site also. I did put a preformance chip in the computer about 6 months ago and noticed a bit of a change but not much. Where can I find a tuned chip? It was very hard to find this chip for this model truck. I can't remember the name of it right now and the box is in the shop. (I will look and post it later) But it was all I could find that any company had to fit this truck on the internet. About the torque converter, the guy that builds transmissions is very good and builds them for racing. Before my truck was really bad. It would hardly go at all! With the low stall in it now, as soon as I touch the gas, it will take off instantly and will even spin the tires on pavament, but when I get up to about 55-60, it pulls so hard. Over drive rpm's at 70 mph is 1500! I just hate to change the gearing as I don't use it much to pull anything. I have noticed with tis converter, if I am going anywhere between 35-45 and need to get up speed fast, I can push the gas down just enough without it changing gears and the converter will lock up the same as a straight shift and pull very good. That is with overdrive locked out. I cannot use overdrive below 50 as the truck is groaning. I know the engine is old and valves and everything else worn but believe it or not, it never smokes, burns no oil, not a tick or anything.

The reason I was wondering about the HO,, been shopping on the internet and every engine for this truck listed says HO "dipstick in block". I have an old 1992 Crown Vic police car in the back yard with a 351W and a venturi 2bbl and the dipstick is in the oil pan! (it got a knock so I parked it immediately).

Anyway this motor is rusty, and the oil pan looks horrible from coming up north, almost impossible to get bolts. So, I will go with the new crate motor so I have something I can trust.

I did some searching today and found a lot like the COMP Cams 35-255-5 in there 93 351, but it says for it to work right you have to do some changes in the valve springs. An it will work and run right for the '93 5.8 EFI. Maybe you all will know better. Here it is:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...view=32&N=700+
steve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 115381
Send a message via Yahoo to fatboyf150
i have a 95 f150 that i rebuilt the 5.8 about 2 years ago. i went 30 over, keith black flat tops, done major head work (thats your biggest upgrade), and used the ford racing e303 cam, and my truck is SD also. i have a really good rpm range and good power all through the band. i dont have a problem idling or with loss of vac to the brakes. my next upgrade is a set of long tube headers. you can just barely hear the cam. if i ever have to go back into the engine or rebuild it, i will reuse or but a new E303.

[url]www.facebook.com/kenneth.rivenbark[/url]
fatboyf150 is offline   Reply With Quote